Pre-Delivery Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
FedEx is supposed to deliver my new iMAC later today. Do I need to unpack the iMAC and allow it to "adjust" to room temp and humidity over a 24 hour period before plugging it in and turning it on?

I ask because that's what Panasonic recommended when I bought my last two plasma tv's.

Thanks in advance

Tom

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
FedEx is supposed to deliver my new iMAC later today. Do I need to unpack the iMAC and allow it to "adjust" to room temp and humidity over a 24 hour period before plugging it in and turning it on?

I ask because that's what Panasonic recommended when I bought my last two plasma tv's.

Thanks in advance

Tom

If you wanted to be SUPER-DUPER safe...it would probably be ok to do that. But if it were me...I would probably be too excited to wait!;)

But if you unpack it...and let it sit for 1-2 hours...I think that it should be fine.

The "tech specs" for an iMac say that the operating temperature range is 50°F to °95F:

iMac - Buy iMac desktop computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

...so if it's really cold where you are, if the inside of the delivery truck is colder than 50°F, or if the computer was sitting on your front porch where it's really cold (usually not the case since Apple usually requires a delivery signature)...then letting it warm up might be a good idea.

Hope this helps...enjoy that new iMac,:)

- Nick

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
Just spoke with FedEx and my delivery has been delayed a day due to heavy snow in our area.

So I will unpack it, install my new memory and let it sit a full day before I fire it up, the amount of condensation that could form could cause all sorts of havoc if not now then sometime in the future.

24 years in the USAF has taught me to be careful around electronics.

Cheers

Tom

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just spoke with FedEx and my delivery has been delayed a day due to heavy snow in our area.

So I will unpack it, install my new memory and let it sit a full day before I fire it up, the amount of condensation that could form could cause all sorts of havoc if not now then sometime in the future.

Good deal Tom. Too bad about the snow delaying the delivery. Not sure I could wait a whole 24hours before using it.;)

By the way...which iMac did you get?

Enjoy,:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Just curious....

Doesn't your local AAFES store stock Apple computers and electronics? The Navy Exchange store here in Fort Worth carries them. Prices are almost the same as Apple (around 5 to 10% less depending on the item) but the advantage is no sales tax and the much less expensive extended warranty.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just curious....

Doesn't your local AAFES store stock Apple computers and electronics? The Navy Exchange store here in Fort Worth carries them. Prices are almost the same as Apple (around 5 to 10% less depending on the item) but the advantage is no sales tax and the much less expensive extended warranty.

Good question! I remember asking a similar question of one of our currently serving military members.:)

- Nick

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good question! I remember asking a similar question of one of our currently serving military members.:)

- Nick

Yup, local BX has them in stock and can be ordered from AAFES on-line but you can't custom order from AAFES so I ordered mine from Apple using the Federal discount program.

And up until now I never paid any state sales tax online, but this time Apple whacked me for $115. So yes I could have done better with AAFES if I wanted a basic configuration.

Tom

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, local BX has them in stock and can be ordered from AAFES on-line.
You can't custom order from AAFES so I ordered mine from Apple using the Federal discount program.

Tom

Hey...so it the iMac you're expecting the one you have listed in your profile?

- Nick

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey...so it the iMac you're expecting the one you have listed in your profile?

- Nick

Yes, I ordered it with the base 4GB of RAM and bought 8GB from Crucial for $104 bring my total to 12GB of RAM.

I will use Boot Camp to partition the HD so I can install Win7 and run apps I need for work and MS Flight Sim and EA NASCAR games.

I could have gotten a killer PC gamer for about half (already own a Dell 24" widescreen monitor) but thought I go this route.

Tom

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.