Downloads box.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.8GHz, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT
Hi, i was just wondering once ive downloaded and installed or moved the programme/file to where i want it can i delete the icon in the download fan? or do i need to keep them?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Once you have installed an application, you are free to delete the dmg or pkg file that was used to install the app. Note that if the dmg includes an uninstaller for a particular app, it may be worth keeping around just in case you need it for later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Hi Paul. If you're referring to the icon you have double clicked in order to install a program, then yes. You can either drag it to the trash can OR you can right click it and select "eject". Obviously though, the program icon its self should not be thrown away. This is the icon which you most likely either dragged to the "Applications" folder or which was created in said folder by default.

I've heard that in general it is not recommended that one move actual program icons outside of the "Applications" folder due to the nature of how OS X "permissions" work, as it can make things a bit wonky and you'll likely have to "repair permissions" in order to fix them.

I personally have a setup where there are folders specific to the type of applications within my Applications folder, (see screen shots) and it helps keep me organized... though is not necessary. It's just an OCD thing with me. If you need to find something in the applications folder from the dock, and you have it set up to view as a folder in "grid" view, you only have to start typing the name of the thing you're looking for and it will automatically go to it.

Otherwise, do not throw program icons away unless you want to delete the actual program! Be warned however, that SOME applications have an actual uninstaller, and that it should be used above throwing the icon in the trash, as the former method will get rid of extraneous files in an orderly fashion.

I also recommend getting an app such as "App Cleaner". What this does is hunt down any files or folders associated with the program you wish to delete/uninstall just to make sure there's no junk left over. It finds them, and puts them in your trash can for you to delete.

Doug

Screen shot 2011-01-19 at 2.14.51 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2011-01-19 at 2.16.25 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
box? Definitely not.
fan? Well, ok, but there are other options.
It's called a folder!

The main reason to keep the downloaded disk image is to save yourself the trouble of finding the web site again and downloading again, if you ever have to. Once there's a new version to download, the old image is pretty much useless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.