• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Prayers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
We could really use your prayers at this time. I live in San Diego and the fires that are blazing are only 10 miiles north of us and moving south fast.. We are having Santa Ana's that are just making things worse.

Even if you do not believe.. we would still appreciate a quick prayer.. for those families who have already had people killed in the fire and for those families that are losing their homes, plus we need them.. like I said they are only 10 miles north of us right now.. and we're praying they do not reach us.

Thank you my friends.

Rick

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
That I can do. I'm live in Los Angeles county, the ashes from the fires are making there way down/up here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You are definitely in my prayers....I hope everything is ok! We also said general prayers in church today for everyone touched by the CA fires....

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We were told to start getting our stuff together to evacuate.. please continue praying for our safety.

It'll probably be a bit before I can get back on here.. so please pray for us.

J

JazzTrpt

Murlyn said:
We were told to start getting our stuff together to evacuate.. please continue praying for our safety.

It'll probably be a bit before I can get back on here.. so please pray for us.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care,

Jon

F

Fomer

Murlyn you will be rememberd in my thoughts and prayers, I'll also have my church, pray. Keep safe man.

H

hokiethang

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers as well. I hope everything turns out well. Stay safe and good luck.

Phillip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Any updates on this? I don't anything about California, so I don't know where Murlyn is in relation to this mess...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is bad, really bad. Watching the news this morning, fire has jumped one of the freeways. We are looking at 40 miles of fire. There were two fires which now has become one big fire. About 360,000 acres has been burned, 13 deads, and over 800 houses destoryed.

My wifw and I are praying for rain, for believe that would be a major help. We are continuing to pray for Murlyn and his family and all individuals involved.

F

Fomer

Fires have been ripping though the states so much this year. We had the southwest fires, now Cali - These seem to becoming a major issue here, Rman you'll also be in my prayers as I know you live in CA, praying in advance if you will.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, as I keep Murlyn and is family in prayer. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I am assuming he is evacuated as he hasn't made any posts in a while...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Emrys said:
I am assuming he is evacuated as he hasn't made any posts in a while...

With al of the mandatory evacuations, i am assuming the same thing.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok Im back.. thank you so much for your prayers and now keep praying for those that are still in danger. Im praying hard.. and I have learned so much about all of this.. and boy do I feel for people that have a fire ripping through their area.. Im not going to look at it the same again.. and I pray that I don't look at it the same again.

I am back in my house.. we did evacuate.. and we had a sycamour behind our house that caught fire, but it was put out.. the highway right next to us has some burned areas all around it.. Thank you God so very much. And thank you so much for your prayers. It really means a lot to me and my family.

It's so very sad.. and scary the way it's going.. we had friends who called us when it was coming our way.. and once we were evacuated and listening to the radio.. we then had to call those friends, each at different times because now the fire was heading towards them.. It's really crazy down here right now.

And Emry's I live in Clairemont Mesa, right next to the 52 and 805 and 15.. so if you were listening to the radio or tv they should have mentioned it.

Thanks again my friends.. and please continue praying!

H

hokiethang

Murlyn said:
Ok Im back.. thank you so much for your prayers and now keep praying for those that are still in danger. Im praying hard.. and I have learned so much about all of this.. and boy do I feel for people that have a fire ripping through their area.. Im not going to look at it the same again.. and I pray that I don't look at it the same again.

I am back in my house.. we did evacuate.. and we had a sycamour behind our house that caught fire, but it was put out.. the highway right next to us has some burned areas all around it.. Thank you God so very much. And thank you so much for your prayers. It really means a lot to me and my family.

It's so very sad.. and scary the way it's going.. we had friends who called us when it was coming our way.. and once we were evacuated and listening to the radio.. we then had to call those friends, each at different times because now the fire was heading towards them.. It's really crazy down here right now.

And Emry's I live in Clairemont Mesa, right next to the 52 and 805 and 15.. so if you were listening to the radio or tv they should have mentioned it.

Thanks again my friends.. and please continue praying!

Will do, glad to hear everything is safe.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fires in California Force Thousands From Homes

Fires in California Force Thousands From Homes
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27FIRE.html?th

By JOHN M. BRODER
Published: October 27, 2003

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif., Oct. 26 — Firestorms roared through parched forests and scrubland across Southern California on Sunday, jumping into residential areas and shrouding hundreds of square miles in pungent yellow-gray smoke.

Tens of thousands of residents were forced to flee 10 rapidly spreading blazes from Simi Valley in Ventura County in the north to San Bernardino in the east and almost to the Mexican border in the south. Thousands of federal, state and local firefighters sought to contain the fires, with little success. State fire officials estimated Sunday afternoon that the fires covered more than 300,000 acres, with the area growing hourly. The fires have claimed at least 13 lives, including two people in San Diego County who were burned in their car as they fled, the police said.

The fires contributed to a nationwide disruption of air traffic when a Federal Aviation Administration office in San Diego that handles air traffic for all of Southern California was shut down about 9 a.m.

As of late Sunday, more than 850 homes were confirmed destroyed, but officials said many more structures had probably been consumed in areas that firefighters had not yet reached. More than a dozen shelters had been set up across the region for those who lost their homes or were forced from them.

Ash and soot blew across roadways like a dusting of dirty snow. Closer to the fires, the ground was covered in more than a half-inch of ash. The sky was so dark with smoke in some areas that sensors turned on automatic outdoor lights. Smoke could be seen and smelled all the way to the coast.

Hundreds of miles of freeways and mountain roads were closed to all traffic except firefighters going in and evacuees coming out.

The flames were driven by brutal Santa Ana winds gusting to 60 miles an hour and made worse by extremely low humidity. The most destructive fire, in the San Bernardino National Forest north and east of here, was fed by more than a million mature pine trees killed over the past year by a bark beetle infestation and drought. The fire front in the national forest was nearly 40 miles long, United States Forest Service officials said.

"This is a fire not to be taken lightly," said Stanton Florea, a forest service spokesman in San Bernardino. "It is just exploding at the higher elevations and moving down." He could give no estimate when the fire would be brought under any level of control.

Officials and residents knew that the forest was a tinderbox. Arson is suspected in several of the blazes.

"Everyone knew it was just a matter of time," said Tom Baker as he stood outside the smoldering ruins of his home in the Del Rosa section of San Bernardino, which was devastated by the fire late on Saturday. "We were all collectively holding our breaths, but our luck didn't hold."

Mr. Baker, a retired arson investigator for the San Bernardino police, said that he and his wife, Lydia, watched the flames pour down the hillside above his neighborhood and leap into the crowns of palm trees along his street. They rushed to salvage valuable papers and photographs as the winds blew flaming palm fronds into his yard, finally igniting the garage as the couple fled in their car. Houses on either side of the Bakers' home were intact, but the fire leveled the house directly across the street.

"We're over the shock and crying for now," Ms. Baker said. "We got some things out, but there's a lot of stuff still in there. It's just a fiasco."

Gov. Gray Davis declared a state of emergency in San Bernardino and Ventura Counties late on Saturday. He added Los Angeles and San Diego Counties on Sunday and asked President Bush for federal assistance. Mr. Davis said the fires were the worst in California in at least a decade.

Steve Maviglio, the governor's press secretary, said that the state had mobilized units of the California National Guard and assigned six helicopters to firefighting duty. "We've put all the resources we have to work," Mr. Maviglio said, "but nature bats last."

The state is urging residents of Southern California to conserve energy, as many households are running their air-conditioning to contend with the smoke and heat. The fires threatened electrical transmission facilities providing power to 25 percent of the population of the region, a Southern California Edison spokesman said.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aerial tankers were grounded for much of the day Sunday because of the high winds and poor visibility, forest service officials said. The only aircraft working on Sunday afternoon were heavy-lift helicopters dropping water, but their efforts were largely for naught.

Paul A. Turk, a spokesman for the aviation administration in Washington, said that fire had come dangerously close to the Southern California Terminal Radar Approach Control, on the Marine Corps' Miramar Air Station, the site of two fires in the San Diego area.

Mr. Turk said the center's functions had been transferred to a center in Palmdale, about 50 miles north of Los Angeles in the Mojave Desert, which normally handles high altitude air traffic.

At 3 p.m., the F.A.A. downgraded the restrictions to a delay, which was still in force into the early evening. The stoppage and delay affected aircraft bound for or leaving all the major airports in the region, including Los Angeles International Airport, Lindbergh Field in San Diego and the airports in Long Beach, Santa Ana, Burbank and Ontario. Mr. Turk said those actions caused the backups across the nation.

The fire affecting the air traffic center was one of several that erupted in San Diego County late Saturday, with uncontrolled brush fires nearly encircling the city.

Chief Jeff Bowman of the San Diego Fire Department said there were six fire fronts in the county, from the Mexican border to Valley Center, near Escondido. Fire had jumped Interstate 15 and was burning along the runways at the Miramar air station, heading south and west toward heavily populated neighborhoods.

Weather officials said San Diego had not had any measurable rain in 174 days. The fires are raging up bone-dry canyons choked with brush and exploding into the dry leaves of eucalyptus groves. Burning balls of tumbleweed driven by high winds swept the fire across 10 lanes of I-15 in central San Diego County.

Sheriff Bill Kolender of San Diego County said the fires in the county had consumed 108,000 acres, destroyed 136 homes and killed 11 people. Fire department officials said none of the four main fires in San Diego County were under control.

Mr. Kolender said the biggest San Diego fire began on Saturday near the mountain town of Julian when a lost hunter lit a signal fire. The hunter was arrested and may face charges.

At a news conference at 5:10 p.m., Mayor **** Murphy of San Diego appealed to employers in the countyto allow their employees to stay home on Monday. "Everybody not essential to city services should stay off the freeways," Mr. Murphy said.

The San Diego City schools superintendent, Alan Bersin, announced the closure of all schools on Monday.

The National Football League moved Monday night's San Diego Chargers-Miami Dolphins game to Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Ariz., from Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego because of the fires.

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said in a statement Sunday night that the City of San Diego had advised the league that it could not play the game in Qualcomm.

In Ventura County, north and west of Los Angeles, two wildfires raged uncontrolled over 50,000 acres near the cities of Simi Valley and Moorpark.

A Ventura County Fire Department spokesman said that at least six homes had been destroyed and eight more damaged but that the number was expected to rise. The department fears the fire will jump into the Santa Susanna Mountain Range and reach the community of Thousand Oaks. But they do not have the equipment yet to construct a firebreak, officials said.

"We have enough resources to protect structures, but we haven't been able to build perimeter control," said John Foy, spokesman for the Ventura County Fire Department. "We have some bulldozers and we are trying to get more. We are getting help from northern California, but it is hard to get them here fast enough."

There is some concern that the fire could threaten the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley. The authorities have assigned a team to protect the property.

At a Red Cross shelter for evacuees at the San Bernardino International Airport, families huddled on cots, wondered when they might return home and worried about what they might find when they did.

Jim Robertson, a heavy-equipment company owner who lives in Crestline, was able to save only his business files and his family's two bulldogs, Humphrey and Bogart. Mr. Robertson said that even though he had removed the beetle-infested trees from around his property, he doubted that his home of 15 years was still standing.

"We had a scare last year, but this is insane," Mr. Robertson said. He said the mandatory evacuation on Saturday night was terrifying and chaotic. "It was horrible, like a scene from a movie. There were people fighting at the gas pumps."

Elsewhere at the airport evacuation center, San Bernardino County animal control had its hands full trying to manage dozens of pets brought by evacuees.

"It's been a long day," Keith McIntosh, an animal control officer, said. "We're trying to make this stress-free for the animals, which is difficult to do given the wind and heat. We have 43 dogs, 30-something cats, birds, turtles, fish, five or six rats and a couple of guinea pigs."

The authorities were also struggling to move hundreds of horses from the path of the fires.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Keep safe Murlyn and family. Feel free to come over here to NZ for a holiday after its all over if you like :) I know some good beaches - and it's the middle of spring so the weather's getting better. Don't put yourself in danger :)

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I wish! I love it over there! And I know the rest of my family would also. Right now we're scared for my father who lives up in Big Bear.. currently he's not in danger, but if they can't stop the fire going to Arrowhead.. it'll rip right through Arrowhead and the surrounding towns and then right up the mountain to Big Bear.. and in Big Bear.. there are only three ways off the mountain.. and one of them is no good currently which leaves two.. and who knows if there will be any ways off the mountain if the fire actually hits it :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.