Beginner instructions: using AirPort Extreme for Wake On Demand

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your time.

I would like to use the AirPort Extreme 802.11n to enable Wake On Demand from my Macbook to my Mac Pro at home.

Where can I find instructions on what exactly I have to do. I'm not looking for anything Wireless, just a Mac Pro hooked to an AirPort via Ethernet cable which in return in hooked to a DSL Router via Ethernet cable.

I want to wake up the Mac Pro and reach the files on it. I don't know anything about IPs and DNS, it would be great to find a summary or beginner guide, I'm sure it exists but I can't find it anywhere.

I've already read this:
Wake On Demand with Snow Leopard and set up the AirPort options accordingly.

Using the version 10.6.6 on both computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
How important is the wake-on-demand vs ease of getting to the machine? I know it takes power to keep it on - but for ease of use to get to the computer try teamviewer
TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet

If wake on demand is really important - it seems you could use ssh and wake it on demand - but from what I read - it will wake with any port scan so you probably would need to setup port knocking first. (As you can tell this can get quite complicated)

OP
N
Reaction score
I see, didn't expect it to be that complicated. I think I'll sell my Airport then. Thank you very much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it is true of any router that you get. I'm not sure selling your Airport will help the situation - unless there is something I am missing. No matter what router you have - to wake on lan means you have to setup a port to forward from outside. The problem is that known ports are always scanned for vulnerabilities. This is independent of the router you have. There are ways to change default ports - like ssh - but it also means that sometimes you cannot get out from behind other firewalls. Again - port forwarding is complicated.

OP
N
Reaction score
No what I mean is that Apple's promotion gave me the impression that the Wake On Demand feature was relatively simple to set up by end users as long as you have an AirPort or Time Capsule, that's the only reason I bought a refurbished one.

I'll just have to abstain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wake on Demand on the local network is really easy actually - what you are talking about is setting up remote access from offsite - unless I read your post wrong. Wake on Demand will also work relatively easily with this setup. I am just saying that because of port scans your Wake on Demand will always be active from what I understand - so it won't really ever sleep unless you setup a VPN or Port Knocking. (I'm sure there are other ways as well)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.