Microtek ScanMaker 4 on Snow leopard 10.6.6

Reaction score
Hi all,
I bought a Microtek ScanMaker 4 some years ago when it was just about as good as you could get. It's been in its box for several years and I now would like to run it on my iMac. I have no idea which cable port to use on the scanner (15 pin port, 075mm long narrow port, and 25 pin port) and can't find any driver later than 10.2.x Jaguar. It was a really brilliant scanner in its day and it would be a shame to bin it. Any ideas? Thanks, The Austringer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Unfortunately it just isn't supported on Snow Leopard at all, I can't even find any third party drivers to make it compatible. I'm afraid it's just too out-of-date now :(

- Simon

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi all thanks for your input. I've been banging my head against the wall to no avail. My conclusion to the research is that the scanner is a SCSI scanner and Microtek tell me it will not be supported - not now not never. Does anyone want a top rate scanner for a lower platform? !! It'll be ebay then. Thanks again The Austringer.

Reaction score
Logical solution to your scanner problem

Hi Don't waste time trying to get the right software. And don't throw your scanner they are awesome. Just buy an older mac. You will probably get one for nothing. Then just make it a dedicated scanner "interface" I use a G4 with an older microtek works like a charm and I just transfer the scans to a usb stick and upload them to my 10.6.7 osx imac. Problem solved!

Also If your scanner is scsi you may be able to get a scsi board for your mac. I did for a umax scanner A3 that I picked up for a $50 :) . Thats about a $5000 saving, and all I needed was a scsi card that I plugged into my G4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip sawday

I remember vuescan from years ago, but forgot all about it. I just downloaded it, from your post, for a microtek i900 I was trying to connect directly to my imac osx leopard, as the microtek software didn't work. but the viewscan did hooray. Thanks for the tip . I only signed up to help the other guy but ended up solving a problem I had thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
You're welcome. It's what this site is for!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.