Problem with drop down list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi guys,
I've been a Mac user for about 3 months now and something has just cropped up for the first time.
I want to remove names from a drop down list but can't figure out how to do it.
It's the sort of list you get when you double click inside a text box and all the previous things that you have written in that same box appear underneath it and you can then scroll down and click on the one that you want.
I need to get rid of all of them in one particular drop down list, not everything from every drop down list, if you see what I mean.
Is that possible?
Cheers,
Steve

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I understand what you want but the answer is going to be application specific. What application are you trying to do this in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
For at least one I've encountered: move to the one you want to get rid of using the arrow up or down key, then hit Delete.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi guys and thanks for the replies.
Just to show you how new I am, when you say, "hit Delete", is that the Backspace button? I only have a small bluetooth keyboard with nothing to the right of the Enter or Return key.

The Application isn't really an application. It's Hotmail.
I have been trying to block spam after taking advice on how to do it. The basic idea is to get to your Blocked Senders list and then, instead of adding individual e-mail addresses in full, to use what comes after the @ when it is obvious that you are never going to get a genuine e-mail from that source. An example would be [email protected] who send out all the "Would you like to get a diploma in nursing?" type of spam. It's no use blocking the full address because there are thousands of mails available to them just with differences before the @ so it's best to block the domain so that nothing ending in eye2imarketing.com gets to your PC.
But, I made the big mistake of blocking things like @eye2imarketing.com
It seems that adding the @ makes all the difference and that with the @, the e-mails with that ending still get through. It only works if you don't add the @.

So what happens now is that I try to add a domain, without the @, but between the text box and the blocked senders list, it grows a new @ so basically, I need to get rid of all the names in the list that have a @ at the beginning so that I can put the names in properly OR, completely delete the list so that I can start over.

Any help would be much appreciated
Steve

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, thanks for that, Chas.
Sadly, my ISP doesn't give you an e-mail address so it has to be web based. Either that or do without e-mails altogether.
So what would you suggest now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sign up for gmail (free) and use it on the web or with the Mail application on your mac. It even supports IMAP, which is great if you ever get a smartphone.

To clear a list of previously entered values in a browser, you'll need to empty the autofill list. In Safari you'll find it under Safari > Preferences > Autofill > Other

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Isn't it fair to say that web based e-mails are all much of a muchness? I have had this Hotmail e-mail address for 12 years so I don't really want to change it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm surprised to hear that you're getting that much SPAM in your Hotmail account. I've had a Hotmail account for over 10 years and have never had much in the way of SPAM slip through their filters. I use GMail now both for web based and in conjunction with Apple mail since it's convenient and easy to use but would not hesitate to go back to using Hotmail if GMail ever went away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Just to show you how new I am, when you say, "hit Delete", is that the Backspace button? I only have a small bluetooth keyboard with nothing to the right of the Enter or Return key.
I don't know it that works the same as a delete key. (didn't want to ignore the question)

Isn't it fair to say that web based e-mails are all much of a muchness?

A what?

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Much of a muchness" is Brit-speak for "About the same"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.