• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple, feds to put squeeze on jailbreaking

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple can ask all they want. Jail breaking was declared legal some time ago. LINK

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
In a way I want this law to be overturned to hacking/jailbreaking is illegal again. Cause it's just so wrong. But on the other hand no legal jailbreaking would cost Apple some hardware sales. As some people buy the iOS devices just to jailbreak them. So it's a hard call.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The US Federal government has more important things to do with it's time, it's manpower and my income tax.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well Apple is a big portion of the US economy. And it would be a smart move by the US government to make sure Apple is happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Well Apple is a big portion of the US economy. And it would be a smart move by the US government to make sure Apple is happy.

Is that a threat? Are they going to suddenly move their manufacturing base overseas? Oh wait, it already is overseas. I'd be more sympathetic to spending my money to protect their profit if they ate a little profit and hired a ten or twenty thousand American workers to build their products. China has a more vested interest in enforcing this than the US.

Tell you what, why don't you suggest that Australian taxpayers subsidize the righting of Apple's perceived intellectual property wrongs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
In a way I want this law to be overturned to hacking/jailbreaking is illegal again. Cause it's just so wrong. But on the other hand no legal jailbreaking would cost Apple some hardware sales. As some people buy the iOS devices just to jailbreak them. So it's a hard call.

How so? Jailbreaking doesn't hurt the consumer or Apple in any way. If you don't want to jailbreak it, then don't. And why would Apple care if there's jailbroken phones out there (aside from the potential for lost revenue in sales of iOS apps)?

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And why would Apple care if there's jailbroken phones out there (aside from the potential for lost revenue in sales of iOS apps)?
Well I don't know. But it seems Apple has a reason for caring about this.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
So are numerous other corporation depending on how you define "big portion." I'd also like to think that no government would be driven by a need to keep a specific corporation happy.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well I don't know. But it seems Apple has a reason for caring about this.

It's all about control - and the revenue derived from the App Store. The more prolific Jailbreaking is, the less benefit to Apple's bottom line.

But at the end of the day, I'm concerned about the consumer - and having choice is key.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I agree with one of the commenters there:

This article is so incredibly full of errors and misinformation that I doubt there is any veracity in it at all.

IF there is any truth to any of this, how about doing your job and referencing the actual documentation showing that Apple is asking the feds for help or citing whatever source you may have.

This is lousy reporting at its finest.

You should pull this article, and hire an editor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

I bought an ipad to jail brake it. If jail braking wasn't an option, I wouldn't own an iPad. Why is it wrong? Apple would have lost a sale if I couldn't have jailbroken my device. Oh, and get this, whether or not it's deemed illegal doesn't mean that it's going to stop people from doing it.

People have ben exploring the boundaries of hardware and software since the birth of the computer. If it wasn't for people tweaking and hacking then technology wouldn't advance as fast as it has. In fact, I say illegality fuels exploration. Theres people that do stuff just because authority figures say they can't.

It's all about control - and the revenue derived from the App Store. The more prolific Jailbreaking is, the less benefit to Apple's bottom line.

But at the end of the day, I'm concerned about the consumer - and having choice is key.

I've not downloaded a lot from cydia, the apps I have downloaded are because there's no real option available in the app store. I've still spent a lot of money purchasing apps through the app store regardless of being jail broken. There's nothing that says you get either or; that's the best part, being able to expand the functionality of the device past what it was intended so that it better suits your needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The US Federal government has more important things to do with it's time, it's manpower and my income tax.

Which means they'll do it. Lord knows they don't want to do anything useful half the time.

Read the first comment of the OPs linked article too.

Reaction score
Really don't see this happening... Especially as was already said, Jailbreaking was already declared legal. I love Apple to death. But the simple fact is, once a person buys something, whether it's in an agreement or not, how can they ever expect to maintain control over what the person does with the item they purchased free and clear? If they want to spraypaint it red, run over it with an ice cream truck, jailbreak it, or throw it out the window, they've got no control over that, and should not have. I highly doubt the Federal Government of the USA or any other nation will be putting the squeeze on Jailbreakers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
As long as Jailbreaking is here, it will be on my iphone on and off at times. I don't care what Apple has to say about it...there are just too many pros for it for people to not be able to use...someone will figure out a jailbreak no matter what Apple does to prevent it, or actions they seek to punish jbers.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually if I was Apple I would take the JBing idea as ways to improve. As people JB their iOS devices cause it does something the standard iOS software can't to or won't allow. In an ideal world you would not need to JB as the device would do everything you want it to do. So in short the way to combat this is to make iOS is such a way that most of the community don't feel the need to do so cause the standard iOS has all they need.

Sure the few hackers will JB it still just cause they can. But if iOS was better then the rest would not need to JB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.