Can't remove USMT2.UNC from old machine

Reaction score
I have an external hard drive connected to my new iMac with files I had on my PC. One of them is the Transfer Wizard file, USMT2.UNC that was created at some point when I had a Dell. When I try to delete it on my iMac, it says it can't be moved to the trash because it can't be deleted. Any way to get this done? It's taking up a lot of space. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If the external hard drive is in the NTFS format then i'm afraid mac cant write/ change the drive natively, you can however read and copy from it.
You can try Mac NTFS-3G drivers from here: NTFS-3G for Mac OS X to overcome this problem.
If you are not going to be using your old PC though, you may aswell format the drive as FAT or Mac OS Extended Journaled.

- Simon

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks! That worked great. I really don't need a Windows partition, so I just copied all of the data to a Mac partition and then deleted the file from there. I appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
No problem

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.