Settings and preferences in iTunes

Reaction score
I am about to import and set everything up on my new iMac for iTunes. I was wondering what folks use for import settings choices? i.e.

Import using:

Settings:

Thanks,

Lucy Goose

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If you mean importing from CD, then you have many choices. I personally favour custom 320 MP3. Best quality possible for a reasonable file size.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
i agree with kevriano on the bit rate, however i prefer to use aac, 320 kbps CBR. its all personal to how you like your music.

if you want to save space, use a lesser bit rate, and sacrifice quality.

if you want quality, use lossless (AIFF, Apple Lossless) or 320kbps. (and have large file sizes.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
Piggy backing on this, when I set up my iTunes I changed the default Import CD to MP3. So all of the CD's in my library are already MP3's. Can I assume that when I create a new play list to burn an MP3 CD I can skip that step and just go straight to the burn?

BTW I did this as the only two places I intend on listening to iTunes music is on my PC err MAC with desktop speakers and in our cars so it didn't make any sense to import at the higher bit rates.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Piggy backing on this, when I set up my iTunes I changed the default Import CD to MP3. So all of the CD's in my library are already MP3's. Can I assume that when I create a new play list to burn an MP3 CD I can skip that step and just go straight to the burn?

BTW I did this as the only two places I intend on listening to iTunes music is on my PC err MAC with desktop speakers and in our cars so it didn't make any sense to import at the higher bit rates.

Tom

If you mean skip the preference to import as MP3, then yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
If you mean skip the preference to import as MP3, then yes.

No I mean after you create a new Play List and copied in some songs from the Library I've been told I'd have to convert them to MP3, go back to the Library and re-copy the converted songs back into the play list before you can burn a CD.

Since all the songs in my Library were IMPORTED as MP3's I figure once I create my new Play List I can go stratight to BURN?

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah ok. Yes, that will work fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah ok. Yes, that will work fine.

Sweet, I'm itching to make some custom MP3's for me and the wife and dump XM which will save me about $45 a month.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course you can always make MP3 discs in other programs like Burn and Toast too.
I actually prefer that method, but that's just me.

OP
L
Reaction score
Sweet, I'm itching to make some custom MP3's for me and the wife and dump XM which will save me about $45 a month.

Tom

Me too. I am fed up with them and I have been a customer since they started. I have found numerous stations on iTunes that are almost identical to them music wise and way more choices so I just play through my computer now. Soon as my paid year is up, SM is gone!!!!

C

chas_m

I personally encode my music at 256kbps AAC (also known as "iTunes Plus") and enjoy it just fine. Not as critical a listener as some I guess, but I've worked in radio all my adult live and it's good enough for me ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.