• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

disappointed with mac

Reaction score
I have been a mac user since they came out. Had an apple IIc in high school/college, a G4 as a young adult, then a mac mini, and now a macbook pro. I bought the macbook pro in September of last year and have had nothing but problems this time around. I am so glad I purchased tech support because I have called them about 6 times so far. Always helpful, but I'm wondering if apple is still claiming that you can use their products right out of the box, because that certainly hasn't been my experience this time around. I'm not debating the superiority (I would never go PC), but I can't put into words how frustrated this latest purchase has made me.

Wondering if others are seeing a decline?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you having hardware issues, or is it general usability?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What issues are you having?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Seems like you've been very cautious to not post the actual problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As was said could you state the issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
User's first post. Doesn't state what the problem is. Telltale signs of trolling.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
User's first post. Doesn't state what the problem is. Telltale signs of trolling.

I think that's a bit premature. It'd be nice to know whether the OP is here for help or just to gripe though....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh cwa you are a big softie.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wondering if others are seeing a decline?

No decline here.:)

To keep things "fair & objective"...don't forget to factor in "user-error" as a possible problem area!;)

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Holy cow - some "forum"

Holy snarky comments!! SORRY I didn't get a chance to respond right away -- I was on the phone with apple care! I am not a troll. Just someone who isn't deliriously happy with mac this time around.

It started when I tried to hook up wirelessly at home. I had also purchased a wireless HP printer at the apple store. I went and bought a cheapy one, and after several calls to that manufacturer and HP, I gave up and returned the cheapy router. I went back to the apple store and purchased the airport extreme, after much discussion with the associate that sold me the laptop -- I didn't really want to pay that much for a router, but he insisted I needed the extreme because my mac mini is in the basement, and I'd primarily be using my mbp on the main floor. I brought it home and tried to get it to work. After a lengthy call to apple care, I realized I couldn't run the airport on my mac mini because my operating system was too old, and that my mac mini was too old to run snow leopard, so I had to purchase leopard from them for $150, and that I would have to wait for it to come via snail mail. No one at the store indicated that there might be any issue with an airport needing a certain OS. Once I got Leopard and installed it, I had more problems with the airport extreme, and had to make another call to apple care, after which it was at least functioning, but still flashing amber, so I knew it wasn't quite right.

Then everyone's cable internet went out in the midwest for about a day. Everyone else's came back on, but mine didn't. I called the cable company and they said it was the router. ANOTHER call to apple care. This time, after chatting with the man for about 20 minutes, he referred me to a supervisor, who was able to walk me through the internet issues, and I was finally able to get my airport to show the regular green light. He was very helpful, as most of the apple care people have been. I really should keep track of their names because we could form a facebook group or something.

Then I scheduled a one-to-one at the store to have them help me upload all of my pics and music from an external drive I had on the mac mini. We started with the pictures, and the guy didn't know how to do it. Then a manager came and kind of did a quick-fix that didn't really upload my pictures into iphoto. Then they wandered off and never came back.

The latest is that I downloaded a game that was made for Power mac, and not Intel. I had a very difficult time finding it, and had to make another appointment for apple care to call me to help me figure it out -- Rosetta should come standard - why doesn't it?

So all of you haters out there saying maybe it was my fault, yadda, yadda -- I have asked for lots of help, because no, I do not work for apple, and I am not a techie, although some of my friends look to me for help in this area. I'm just disappointed because it seems to me that it used to be a lot easier. Apple's claim has always been that their products are "ready to go, out of the box" and that has NOT been my experience this time around.

I should not have to spend that many hours on the phone with apple care! I can't imagine if i hadn't purchased the apple care plan!

OP
F
Reaction score
further explanation

Just wondering if this is just my experience or if others are having similar issues, because if mine is an isolated experience, fine. If not, I may be more "cautious" about purchasing in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
My experiences have been great so far they have repaired what was needed and helped
me a time or two so Apple Care was worth the money for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
My MacBook Pro was ready to go out of the box. I have only had one real problem with it. Sometimes when I open it the screen switches back and forth between blue and my desktop screen. I have called a couple times, and they have been very helpful. We believe it to be software, and if my comp does it again I am to re-install the OS. Service was always informative and the people are always nice. Even though this is a small problem on my comp, I would buy from them again.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Just went in today to get my MB fixed. The cracking on the hand rest area annoyed me. Surprisingly that repair cost 124 dollars. Which they waived cause it was covered under extended warranty. The swollen battery on the other hand...cost 99 dollars which was better than buying it for 129 dollars off the self.

Overall I would say that the people I talked to were helpful and nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Never had issues that couldn't easily be solved by System Preferences, Disk Utility, downloading an app from the web, or a 10 minute trip to the Apple Store (free keyboard key replacement both times).

I just read the OP's long post, and I don't see anything that could be Apple's fault or attributed to a lack of usability.
The Airport Extreme did the job that a "cheapy" router couldn't do. The OP simply didn't know how to get it back "online" after internet went out then came back on. Now ya know.
And occasionally you'll find incompetent employees (yes even at Apple) - that doesn't mean the Mac doesn't work out of the box. It means YOU don't understand how to transfer photos and the employees weren't helpful. Not the Mac's fault. Seems like a lot of user-error or lack of knowledge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.