Wrong modem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 i3 4gb, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 i5 4gb, iPad2 32GB 3G black, iPhone 4S 16GB black
Hi, just received my lovely new iMac :D

I am trying to connect to the internet, which is with tiscali, and my modem is a Sagem with a USB output to the computer.

All the info. for the Time Capsule indicates I need a ethernet cable, not a USB.

Does this mean my modem is not compatible?

I know this is very basic stuff, however I didn't set up the internet on my PC so have never done this before :Blushing:

Any help much appreciated

Pete

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi, just received my lovely new iMac :D

I am trying to connect to the internet, which is with tiscali, and my modem is a Sagem with a USB output to the computer.

All the info. for the Time Capsule indicates I need a ethernet cable, not a USB.

Does this mean my modem is not compatible?

I know this is very basic stuff, however I didn't set up the internet on my PC so have never done this before :Blushing:

Any help much appreciated

Pete

Are you certain there is no other interface to the computer other than USB? If that's true, I'm not aware of any wireless router that will interface with a modem like that. You may have to contact your ISP and have them issue you a replacement.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 i3 4gb, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 i5 4gb, iPad2 32GB 3G black, iPhone 4S 16GB black
Very basic modem supplied by Tiscali about 6 years ago.

Has a phone line input and a USB output and thats it.

Think it might be time for a new modem?

Pete

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Very basic modem supplied by Tiscali about 6 years ago.

Has a phone line input and a USB output and thats it.

Think it might be time for a new modem?

Pete

Absolutely. Not sure how it is in the UK, but it's pretty common practice here in the US for the ISP to supply a fully featured modem, and at times replacements/upgrades for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.