Audio but no video

Reaction score
Hi,

First time on this forum so hope i'm posting in the right place for this .

I'm a Macbook pro convert of 1week today !

Was having trouble playing some video files but then found out that Quicktime doesn't play all video file types so downloaded DivX.

This played the particular video file but when I tried to play the tutorial videos on the Apple website I could get the audio but no video. I therefore decided to uninstall DivX.

To do this I downloaded AppCleaner.

This uninstalled DivX successfully but when I now try to play the tutorial videos on the Apple website I still cannot get video content and the audio is playing twice _ approx 2/3 seconds apart.

Any help would be greatly received as it's starting to drive me mad as I've tried everything I can think of.

Thanks

C

chas_m

Sounds like you (or the DivX software) has hosed up your Mac but good.

You can try installing Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian (both free) and see if that fixes the issue, but I have a feeling a reinstall is in your future.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for the reply - I think !

Tried installing Flip4Mac and Perian and no change I'm afraid.

Don't really see how I could have ballsed anything up - all I did was install DivX then uninstall it !

Gave YouTube a go and everything runs fine on there - don't know if that has any bearing on the problem or not.

Anyway - thanks again.

Reaction score
What *might* help is if you try to re-install iTunes. That might fix the codecs. If that doesn't help, try installing Quicktime 7, then uninstall it. What OS are you on?

Reaction score
Great, then do as I suggested and let us know if it changed anything.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,

Uninstalled and reinstalled itunes but that hasn't helped.

Have downloaded Quicktime 7 and tried to install but when I reach the "select destination" I'm told "Quicktime can't be installed on this disk. This version of Quicktime 7 can't be installed on this disk because Quicktime X is already present. Please use software update to install the appropriate version of Quicktime for your Mac"

I then uninstalled Quicktime using Appcleaner including the Quicktime plugin but still I get the above phrase.

Thnx

OP
B
Reaction score
PS:

Don't know if it has any bearing but still on the Mac HD are two files - Quicklook and QuickTime Java.

Not sure if these need removing before installation of Quicktime 7

Thanx

C

chas_m

It sounds to me as though AppCleaner has failed to remove all the components of both the DivX program and now QuickTime 7.

I have no idea how to tell you to find and delete JUST those leftover components without taking the very high risk of deleting files vital to the system's operation.

So instead I'm going to suggest something I almost never suggest: a system reinstall. Obviously you'll need to back everything up first, but the good news is that system reinstalls on Macs don't take all day, like SOME operating systems.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,

Ok I'll try this 1st before i go for the reinstall.

Sorry to sound a bit thick but I have 2 discs that came with the machine - one says Mac OS X Install DVD the other says Applications Install DVD - which one should I use.

Thanks again everyone - really appreciate all your efforts

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,

Maybe getting somewhere !

Followed the procedure and the "double audio" i was getting is now fixed.

Still have no video from the Apple tutorials though - Just a "Missing Plugin" on the video screen

Thnx

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks but i really wanted to fix the issue rather download yet another app to solve a problem.

Think that i've probably caused this problem myself by doing just that.

Thanks for the input though

Reaction score
Had the same issue. Turned out that after the uninstall DivX left two extensions in safari. Under preferences you will find a extension section, there are likely two divx extensions sitting there. Remove and the double audio and video should be gone. Kinda unimpressed that DivX caused the issues as you stated as it works like a **** on windows.

Reaction score
chevyb, that sounds like a reasonable solution, the plugins folder...

Also, what happens if you click the "Missing Plugin"?

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks to everyone that offered up help for this problem - it is at long last solved !

Chevyb you are the man !!!!

Done exactly what you said, took less than 2 minutes and solved.

I'm chuffed to bits as this was driving me mad.

Thanks again guys.

All the best

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Looks like I may have jumped the gun !

Done what chevyb suggested and it has solved the problem, but just tried playing a movie (AVI file) from my 32gb usb stick and a small window appears saying "Loading Movie...."

Only trouble is - it doesn't !

It just sits there indefinately.

Have tried half a dozen different AVI files and all the same.

This has only come about since all the video problems with installing and uninstalling Divx and uninstalling and then re-installing Quicktime as they all worked perfectly before.

Your help, as always would be greatly appreciated.

thnx

Reaction score
odd, all my videos have since played normally since removing those plugins...(at least the ones that did prior to install of divix)

OP
B
Reaction score
Still only running Quicktime X and Flip4Mac (for the WAV files).

Have perian also installed but that doesn't seem to do anything !

Do you think I need to install Quicktime 7 ?

Slightly hesitant to do this as it was while trying to install 7 that most of the problems started.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.