importing software from another mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06GHz Intel Core i3 processor , WD 2tb ext HD, Holla!!!
my friend has a software that i want. I was wondering if i can just copy the software to an external HD and then import that software to my computer?...if its possible, how can i simply do it?....should i use time machine or CCC?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my friend has a software that i want. I was wondering if i can just copy the software to an external HD and then import that software to my computer?...if its possible, how can i simply do it?....should i use time machine or CCC?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

WOW...you're just going to come right out & say that you want to get copies of software illegally...and not be shy about it!

I don't think that you're going to get much help!!!

- Nick

p.s. It's also not necessary to double post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
If it's free software, just ask your friend where he/she downloaded it. It's generally better to install fresh or use the Migration Assistant -vs- dragging and dropping software between two Macs with different user accounts on them. Freeware downloads are generally available with a quick internet search.

If it's paid applications you are trying to get, I would suggest contacting the software vendor and explaining the situation. Perhaps there is a license transfer process in place (unlikely). Or, perhaps they will cut you a deal on a license for going about the acquisition of software the right way. Worst case, you can buy the software without being a scumbag thief.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's free software, just ask your friend where he/she downloaded it.

If it's paid applications you are trying to get, I would suggest contacting the software vendor and explaining the situation. Perhaps there is a license transfer process in place (unlikely). Or, perhaps they will cut you a deal on a license for going about the acquisition of software the right way.

You're being VERY optimistic!;)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would suggest you purchase your own copy - problem solved.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thx xj....anddd forrrr pigoo3, chill out with that accusation bruH!...you didnt even bother asking about the details of the situation. Its people like you that make this world such a GREAT place!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
you didnt even bother asking about the details of the situation. Its people like you that make this world such a GREAT place!

And you didn't provide any details of the situation. And you still haven't. Very unsuspicous!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thx xj....anddd forrrr pigoo3, chill out with that accusation bruH!...you didnt even bother asking about the details of the situation.

I'm willing to bet that you're not trying to copy trial versions of software, freeware, or shareware. I think that we both know that you're trying to "copy" software that you're supposed to pay for.

I think that you're a very intelligent person...and you know EXACTLY what you're trying to do is wrong!:(

Its people like you that make this such a GREAT place!

Of course with this statement you couldn't be more right!!!;)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged crossposts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.