Yet another problem with wi-fi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Hello,

When I start or restart my Mac, it connects to my wireless network (see the note below). However, sometimes it won't detect the wireless network immediately after waking up from sleep. It tells me that none of the preferred networks are available and offers me the opportunity to connect to my wireless network - it's listed in the dialog box.

Any suggestions as to where the problem might be?

EDIT: Out of ten startups, the Mac connects to the wireless network:

1) immediately - once
2) after some ten seconds of searching - eight times
3) after some ten seconds of searching fails to connect - once

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Could you be more specific about what you mean by "immediately after waking up"?
A 3+ second delay is normal as Airport searches for available wi-fi.

Have you gone into System Preferences>Network and removed any other networks that your Mac has stored from the past? Make sure your network is the only one in the list. Then Airport won't have as many to search for.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Could you be more specific about what you mean by "immediately after waking up"?
A 3+ second delay is normal as Airport searches for available wi-fi.

Have you gone into System Preferences>Network and removed any other networks that your Mac has stored from the past? Make sure your network is the only one in the list. Then Airport won't have as many to search for.

Yes, I can be more specific. ;) The Airport searches for about ten seconds and fails to connect. I'm sitting some three metres away from the router.
My network is the only one in the list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.