Stream photos to TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I'm not interested in video streaming and although the possibility of showing photos from ones mac to TV is advertised as a feature any further info seems sadly lacking (or perhaps my search skills are not what they were - in which case advance apologies!).

Basically I would like to know if Apple TV will enable me to show photos (either from their own folders or from within iPhoto) on my TV wirelessly and controllerable from the room where my TV is situated.

As an aside I already use EyeConnect to stream my itunes to a music player and a version of that can apparently stream photos to a tv but if I go this route what do I need 'at the tv end'?

Love to hear of anyones experiences in this area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
With the ATV2 you can see photos from your iPhoto Library.

Its a matter of choosing Computers>your library then down to photo's.
You then get a message to make sure iTuns is open, then choose "Choose Photo's to Share" from the Advance menu.(iTunes Menu)
From there choose iPhoto and/or any folder within it. go to the bottom right and click "Apply" and then the iPhoto look pops up on your TV. And this can all be done from the comfort of your lounge and the sleek looking Alum Remote ... HTH

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
In the US, the DirecTV HD DVR satellite TV receivers for the last couple years have had this ability with a feature called Media Share. The interface is a little awkward, but it works, sort of. Requires EyeConnect or similar.

If you have satellite/cable TV and your box has an ethernet port, don't assume that you don't already have the hardware that is required. We've had our DVR for 18 months and I'm embarrassed to say that I just discovered this ability last week.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
With the ATV2 you can see photos from your iPhoto Library.

Its a matter of choosing Computers>your library then down to photo's.
You then get a message to make sure iTuns is open, then choose "Choose Photo's to Share" from the Advance menu.(iTunes Menu)
From there choose iPhoto and/or any folder within it. go to the bottom right and click "Apply" and then the iPhoto look pops up on your TV. And this can all be done from the comfort of your lounge and the sleek looking Alum Remote ... HTH

Cheers

Thanks for this. Sounds good and looks like I might be putting Apple TV on my birthday list but at the risk of appearing (or being!) thick do I need to put my photos in itunes or just have itunes open?

Secondary question - if Apple TV is somehow using itunes does this mean that I (or more correctly my wife) cannot simutaneously stream my music to my music player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Dont see anything thick around here apart from my *banana smoothie* ;P

All you need to do is to have iTunes open. It then scours the iPhoto library and does what it has to do to bring them up on your TV. My high res pics on my 46" LCD look just amazing.
And remember if you have a iOS device you are able to stream pics from them via Airplay as well to the ATV2.
It has certainly come a long way form the original version . . . .
On streaming the music as well. Just taking a educated guess i would say yes, but not having both i cant be sure. MAybe someone else could let us know

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.