I hate my new Mac!

Reaction score
I just got 2 27" iMacs as a transition back to Mac from PC. The best looking monitors I've every seen! LOVE the monitors, especially when it's connected to my blowtorch PCs. Hence the problem.

I love the concept of being able to have a 27" Mac, and then hit command-F2 to have an excellent 27" monitor for the PC. But to get it to work "right" as a Mac has been giving me nothing but grief.

First of all, we are on a ReadyNAS Linux gigabit network that works seamlessly with our PCs (we are a video production company that got tired of waiting for a modern version of Final Cut and jumped ship to CS5... loving every minute of it.) We've been away from Mac for a year or two and have grown fond of how Windows 7, despite the bad rap from others in the industry, truly does "just work."

We felt it was time to get back into the Mac groove, but since we have, we've had nothing but problems.

Getting the Mac to connect to our network at speeds greater than a laughable 6 MB/Sec seems to be impossible even with all the techy network guys here on site. The PCs connect at 100-120 MB/Sec.

Secondly, Finder seems to be as worthless as possible as it cannot see past a couple tiers in our network folder structure before freezing completely up. Adobe can read deep into the network folders just fine on the iMacs, so can muCommander... but Apple, that's supposed to "just work," well, doesn't.

Same goes for dragging/dropping anything from the network to the local drives (or viceversa). The copy dialog in finder just says "stopping..." for ever and never does. Totally, totally buggy.

But using muCommander to copy anything works fine, albeit at near dial up speeds.

Trying to connect a simple network printer is nigh impossible without assigning a static IP address to the printer and forcing Mac to find it based on that IP. Mac never even sees it until you tell it "Oh, by the way look here: 192.168....." and then blind Mac suddenly CAN see it after telling us there were no printers connected.

Windows 7 finds network printers as easily as USB printers. Why can't mac handle this without having to be an IT guy?

I love all the eye candy on the awesome 27" monitor, but candy without functionality just causes cavities... which is what I feel I'm getting right now.

I guess I've never had to use a Mac on a network before. Our first network experience happened on Windows 7. It was pretty much plug and play easy. Mac seems to be your cool "trendy" computer, but when you want to get some business type work done, forget it.

Why do I post this here if I seem so set on Windows 7? Cuz I'm not. I actually want to transition back into Mac and make it work, but I'm not impressed after having been "away" for a while. The grass IS greener on the other side. Not to mention Final Cut Pro is about 2 years behind CS5 and Avid and Steve Jobs seems to have forgotten about all us old pro users that kept Apple afloat for years.

That's my impression and gripe. Please, I'm here cuz I want you to tell me where I'm wrong and how I can correct it.

I'm starting to think that since I haven't been drinking the Mac Koolaide, I can see the light now... that Windows has much more to offer and is really suited for a business/work environment where productivity, not bling-bling, is ultimately what pays the bills.

OP
B
Reaction score
Oh, and I should also mention these minor things:

* I wish the HOME/END keys did what PC does. It actually makes sense there.
* I've grown attached to being able to stretch/compress any window ANYWHERE, not ONLY at the bottom right. How annoying!
* Having multiple monitors sucks on a Mac because you have to go to your MAIN window to go to the FILE menu (for example). Seems like a left over from the Mac-80's.
* Safari is about as worthless as Internet Explorer. I expected much better, but it's still terrible and clunky.

Garage band is totally cool though! :) Way cool! Very much plug and play, "just works."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
We've been away from Mac for a year or two and have grown fond of how Windows 7, despite the bad rap from others in the industry, truly does "just work."

Im not going to help you as to pick the post apart and reply, (someone else would love to do that) but i will say, WHAT has changed in a year ?? Nothing because Snow Leopard has only been out 18 months, *or two* will only take you back to Leopard.
Considering SL is just a beefed up Leopard, i fail to see what has changed in two years. What you had then you would of had now.
If you had of said "We have been away for 3-4 yrs" i could understand that you would be a little confused as Tiger was a heck of a lot different than Leopard. . .
Just saying . . . .
I hope you can work out your problems bc i find the Mac OS a lot more productive than anything i have had. But thats me

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would say a setting is wrong for the internet speed to be that slow with that big of a pipe and as for the networked printer is it set as default printer and is the IPv4/DNSv4
set at DHCP as this is what has worked for me for years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I suggest the OP simply sell the iMacs and go back to working on a "real" computer that "just works" for him. I'm with Tattoo'd on this one and further, I smell a troll.

Reaction score
I don't see trolling yet. Windows7 is a nice OS and much better than the earlier attempts, but a lot of what I like about Win7 is what MS "borrowed" from Apple.

That said, networking issues can be a hassle, and if everything was working fine on Windows then not on OSX, one can get frustrated. The problem with networking issues is that there are so many points of potential failure. Just because the Mac's don't work properly, but the Windows ones do, doesn't always mean the issue must be with the Mac's. It could be with the switches, in their configuration or a pile of other places.

I have had many similar issues connecting Windows PC's at work. So much so, that I gave up my IS career after nearly pulling all my hair out. Unfortunately, it left such a stain on my personality, I have since almost wiped all my networking knowledge out, so I'm not much help here.

Something is slowing both those iMac's down big time. have your IT guys do some traces from both directions and see where it starts to bottleneck. Is all of your network traffic slow? i.e. what about the Internet? If the Internet is fine and that follows a different route, then you are half way there. Try a different switch and see what happens then.

Reaction score
If you're a professional, then get some professional networking experts who have experience with Mac OS and get it fixed. Every complex IT Architecture will have its quirks, and I feel that you're blaming Mac OS X for something your IT guys can't handle.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you're a professional, then get some professional networking experts who have experience with Mac OS and get it fixed. Every complex IT Architecture will have its quirks, and I feel that you're blaming Mac OS X for something your IT guys can't handle.

Exactly.

Not sure who put that ReadyNAS in there, but that particular device is pretty much universally reviled. How it's working well for your PCs is beyond me.

But that alone tells me that whoever is calling the IT shots there is not exactly well-researched.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
That's my impression and gripe. Please, I'm here cuz I want you to tell me where I'm wrong and how I can correct it.

I'm starting to think that since I haven't been drinking the Mac Koolaide, I can see the light now... that Windows has much more to offer and is really suited for a business/work environment where productivity, not bling-bling, is ultimately what pays the bills.

Not sure anyone can tell you what is wrong or right. Your Network and/or Storage Team(s) should be able to figure out what the issue is. Honestly, this sounds less like an OS issue and more like something related to the tubes to me. If you prefer Win7, then by all means switch back. Whatever tool does the job best for whomever is actually using the tool is what matters when it comes to generating an income. Subjective observations about "bling-bling" aside, it sounds like you work in a Windows shop anyhow. You would probably be best served sticking to the standards that your IT teams are actually capable of supporting. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.