Confused

Reaction score
So, I have an iMac on order. I'm obviously switching from Windows. I have a My Book Mirror external drive that I have been using. It is formatted as NTFS. I know that my new iMac will be able to read the music, video, and photo files on it to do my data transfer, but I then want to be able to use it for time machine back ups. I have searched the forum and WD support areas, but just get more confused. Can anyone explain how to make this happen in simple terms?

Thanks
Rob

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The drive will need to be formatted (erased) in order to use it with Time Machine. This can be done with Disk Utility (in the Applications => Utilities folder).

The process is as simple as selecting the external drive in the left window pane, clicking the "Erase" tab, choose a format type (you'll want "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)"), pick a name for the drive and then click Erase.

OP
P
Reaction score
That sounds simple enough. One more question....I have some word and excel files on there as well. From what I was reading it sounded as if when I plugged the drive into the iMac, I would not see th e.doc or .xls files. Is that true? Is it worth it to use Move2Mac? I was thinking I would just conect the two computers via LAN cable, is that the best way???? I guess that was more than one question..;)

Rob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Unless I'm missing something your Mac won't have a problem seeing the files but if you don't have software capable of opening the files then you won't be able to use it. You will either have to buy Microsoft Office for Mac or use other software that will be able to open and edit those file types. Some of these other software are Open Office or iWork suite from Apple.

There might be some compatibility problems using non-Microsoft software so if you need to use Microsoft Office files a lot then it might be worth it for you to get it on your Mac.

Lastly since you are new to Macs it would be easier and quicker for you to just put all the files you want from your Windows machine onto your external and then transfer it over to your Mac. You can network your Windows and Mac computers but it's going to require more work.

C

chas_m

Actually, EndlessMac, TextEdit can open Word files (even the latest ones) no problem. And QuickLook can be used to view (but not work on) the Excel files. Of course iWork can be used as an Office replacement (works great for me) and then there's OpenOffice as mentioned and ... you know ... Microsoft Office for Mac. The original, you might say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Actually, EndlessMac, TextEdit can open Word files (even the latest ones) no problem.
Yes, you are correct. I was too lazy to list all of the software so I only mentioned two as examples. ;) There are plenty of other software.

When Pharmer mentioned seeing the files it sounded more like he/she was asking if the files will display in Finder at all or if it will be "hidden" from view when connected to the external. I didn't interpret it as opening and viewing the file itself. I could be wrong though.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. I was too lazy to list all of the software so I only mentioned two as examples. ;) There are plenty of other software.

When Pharmer mentioned seeing the files it sounded more like he/she was asking if the files will display in Finder at all or if it will be "hidden" from view when connected to the external. I didn't interpret it as opening and viewing the file itself. I could be wrong though.

This is exactly what I had meant. Thanks for all the info everyone. I plan on purchasing iWork. I bought a refurbished, so I couldn't add it at the time I bought it. I already have it on my iPad. I don't have that many files, but there are some that I really want to keep, like my wife's Christmas card list etc.:D

I as reading switch 101 and it didn't look that difficult to network my PC to the iMac to move my files. The PC is going to a new home once the iMac is set up, so it probably wont be worth it,

Rob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.