Wireless MAC address issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
I know there have been threads on here before about similar subjects, but i hope someone can help here...

I was suspicious that someone else was using my wireless network. I kept getting the error on my mac that read something like "another computer with the IP address ----- is using the wireless internet".

So I had a look to see what I could do. I came across this thread, http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/31388-secure-wireless.html

I changed some of my wireless settings, such as the channel (from 12 to 11), b&g to just g and then decided to include MAC address filtering. I have a netgear router

I got the mac address of my macbook and my girlfriends ipad and added them to my router settings. No problems so far. Internet is fine, dare I say - quicker than before.

I now need to add another computer to the network. When I type in my router address 192.168.1.1 I get the error:

"(192.168.1.4) is managing this device"

so... I type in 192.168.1.4 - firefox hangs for about 5 minutes, still loading, then it displays the "page cannot be displayed" error.

Any ideas what i've just done?

C

chas_m

First, let's make sure you (and anyone reading this) are totally clear on what a MAC address is (a physical networking address on your computer, has nothing to do with being a Mac, Windows machines and network printers have MAC addresses as well) -- and what an IP address is (ie, an internet address, like 192.etc).

What's likely to have happened in your case is that you when you were configuring the router, you set it so that only a machine at 192.169.1.4 could administer the router. This could be because you were wired to it at the time, which uses a different IP address to what the same physical machine would use when accessing wirelessly. If that's the case, then just plug in directly and perhaps you'll be recognized as 192.168.1.4.

Typing in 192.168.1.4 is trying to access a machine that doesn't exist. Your router's address is still 192.168.1.1, you're just not accessing it from the right IP address.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm clear on what a mac address is, i just wanted to get some extra security beside my WEP key.

Thing is, I hadn't plugged my machine in to change the settings, I did it wirelessly. Also, i know that I didn't change the router address to 192.168.1.4 - i would remember doing that.

I will plug it in when I get home and see if I can access it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
This will have fixed itself, but here's what probably happened:

- Your router automatically gives every computer on your wireless network an IP address when they join the network - your computer was given the address 192.168.1.4

- You log in to change settings, so the router knows "192.168.1.4" is making changes - don't let anyone else log in otherwise those would be overwritten.

- You save the changes, which causes the wireless network to temporarily disconnect, your Macbook then reconnects a few moments later

- The router has now given your Macbook a new IP address, since "192.168.1.4" is already "being used".

- You try to sign in to the admin page again, but you're denied because the router hasn't yet realized that you're no longer sign in and making changes. It still thinks "192.168.1.4" (which was you earlier) is logged in.

Case closed. :)

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...makes perfect sense. it is fixed.
so how do I l prevent this from happening in the future?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Buy a better router or set it to always assign the same IP address to your computer. But it's not really a big deal, you just need to wait 5 minutes or so for the router to realize you're no longer signed in.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm clear on what a mac address is, i just wanted to get some extra security beside my WEP key.

You probably wouldn't need extra security if you didn't use WEP. Unless you have no other choice, you should switch over to WPA2 as WEP can easily be cracked. And, when making the kind of router adjustments you spoke about, it's a good idea to have an ethernet connection to the router. After completing the adjustments you can remove the cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.