• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help with removing/adding audio.

Reaction score
Hi!. I know (from google) that people have asked this question but I never saw an answer that helped me specifically so I am going to ask myself.

I have a DVD from when I went flying in Hawaii for vacation. I would like to show friends/family the video, but the DVD includes my conversation with the pilot instructor for the entire 30 minutes of the video. I just HATE how I sound and don't want anyone to listen to 30 minutes of me making small talk with a stranger. I would like to remove the audio from the DVD and then add music to replace the sound.

I'm sure I could figure out how to do this in imovie, but it seems to be just about impossible to convert the DVD to a format I could import into imovie without PAYING. I DO NOT WANT TO PAY FOR ANYTHING. I simply do not have the money. If ANYTHING, maybe 5 or 10 dollars, but nothing more than that! I'm living off of taco bell as it is! lol

I found free programs that allowed me to convert the DVD to mp4 and mpeg, but these still do not open in imovie. I read that i need to download some mpeg codek or something for quicktime, but this is 20 dollars so I can't do that.

I have downloaded a bunch of programs only to find that they will only convert 3 minutes of video unless you pay 35-50 dollars.

What can I do so that I can remove the audio/add music without paying for anything?

I don't have to use imovie, so if you know of another free program that is easy to use that I can edit mp4, mpeg (without the codek thing), or straight from the DVD that would be good too! Or any other ideas! i'm open to suggestions!

p.s. I'm not the most computer savvy person so try to dumb down your responses as much as possible :) :) :)

Thank you for your help!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
get Mac the Ripper (free for 2.6.6, google it) rip it with that to VOB. then download handbrake and convert it with that to mp4. then open the mp4 in MPEG Streamclip, and export to a file that iMovie reads. you can delete the audio with streamclip too.

all the software is free just give it a google :)

Reaction score
get Mac the Ripper (free for 2.6.6, google it) rip it with that to VOB. then download handbrake and convert it with that to mp4. then open the mp4 in MPEG Streamclip, and export to a file that iMovie reads. you can delete the audio with streamclip too.

all the software is free just give it a google :)

Great! Works perfect.

Thanks . . .

OP
P
Reaction score
GREAT! thanks soooo much!!!! I had already used something to convert to the file to an mp4 and an mpeg file (it might have been handbrake but i tried so many different things I can't remember which one i ended up using)...it was the streamclip that was giving me problems...

STUPID ME never tried to use the mp4 file in streamclip. I kept trying my mpeg file and so it kept telling me to buy the mac codec.

Once I used the mp4 file instead I was able to convert it and upload it to imovie with no problems!!!

:)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.