Sandy Bridge

Reaction score
Hello all Mac lover,

I would like to know if there is any estimate that when will apple use new cpu Sandy Bridge in Macbook pro sometime in 2011?

Regards,
Ragnar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I doubt it, they are bringing out OSX Lion, as well as a rumoured iPad 2, etc etc, I think the next major upgrade to it's computer lineup will be 2012, and that doesn't mean they will even ever use the Sandy Bridge CPU
Just in my opinion anyway, I would like to be proved wrong :D

- Simon

C

chas_m

Processor upgrades generally are not tied to software updates as Buzzard is implying, but his overall answer is still the same: nobody here knows when that could ... or will ... happen, or in what models that particular chip might be used.

Any "estimates" put forth are just WAGs. If you look at sites that track how often MBPs get updated and study the actual events, you'll notice that Apple pretty much updates them whenever they want and not in a particularly predictable pattern as they do with some other products like iPods and iPhones.

If you need a computer, buy a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
IMHO its a no brainer that it will be in the next refresh, question is whether it will be quad core or dual

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Processor upgrades generally are not tied to software updates as Buzzard is implying,

Sorry I think I should have worded it a bit clearer, what I meant is that with a lot going on/ coming out soon(ish) with their products, whether it be software or hardware, I doubt that they will ALSO bring out new lines of its MBPs.

- Simon

C

chas_m

I'm personally sort of expecting them to refresh the MacBook Pro's this year, but when is very hard to say. At a pure guess, I'd bet about 30 days after I buy one. :)

(but seriously, I'm kind of thinking they'll get a bump in late spring in time for "Dads & Grads" season). Again, just pure speculation based on nothing but a feeling.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I hope you're right chas. We were given a gift card to buy one and it's absolutely burning a hole right through my desk drawer. ;) I'm also thinking it will be around Springtime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I reckon when they do refresh the lineup you can say hello to SSD as standard.

- Simon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It certainly would be nice to see the SSD as a standard HDD included with all Mac notebooks, however, I think we're still a ways away from that. The SSD still has not come down enough in price for the large storage amounts that most folks use nowadays. The average size HDD in a notebook machine is probably around 500 GB, and that would be a very expensive SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It certainly would be nice to see the SSD as a standard HDD included with all Mac notebooks, however, I think we're still a ways away from that. The SSD still has not come down enough in price for the large storage amounts that most folks use nowadays. The average size HDD in a notebook machine is probably around 500 GB, and that would be a very expensive SSD.

That is very true, I can but dream though eh, :p

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24"
Any idea how they came out with the code name "Sandy Bridge"?

C

chas_m

Code names are often related to real places or things. Apple uses "big cats" as codenames (now commercial names) for their OS X paid updates. Intel has for years used real place names as code names for their microprocessors. "Sandy Bridge" is a place in Singapore, "Westmere" (the predecessor chip) is a suburb of Auckland NZ, and "Ivy Bridge" (the successor to Sandy Bridge) probably refers to a town in Devon, England known as Ivybridge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.