Cannot connect to a Windows PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Hello,

sometimes I cannot connect to a Windows PC using the Connect to Server command. I suspect that this happens after the Windows PC has waken up from sleep mode. Can this be the case? If so, how to remedy this (without restarting the PC). Note: restarting the Mac doesn't help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
You say sometimes you can't connect, what happens when you try to connect? Does it bring up an error message? Can you usually connect to the Windows PC?
Also what are your computer specs and OS?
- Simon

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
New MackBook Air Mac OS X 10.6.6, the PC is running Windows 7, connected via Wi-Fi, the error message reads:

The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time.

When I try to connect again, the message changes to:

There was an error connecting to the server.

When I restart the PC, the connection works fine.

EDIT: I also lose the already established connection when I put my Mac to sleep and wake it up again. Just tested it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Does it connect with smb://ipaddress instead of the windows name?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does it connect with smb://ipaddress instead of the windows name?

Well, it's either:

both the IP address and windows name work (computers freshly restarted)

OR

neither the IP address and windows name work (one of the computers "experienced" a period of sleep mode and the connection broke down and cannot be re-established)

Reaction score
Well, it's either:

both the IP address and windows name work (computers freshly restarted)

Computers, plural? As in both your Windows box and the Mac need to be restarted in order to reinitialize a connection?

neither the IP address and windows name work (one of the computers "experienced" a period of sleep mode and the connection broke down and cannot be re-established)

Which one went to sleep?

I'm sorry to ask for specificity here, but the first step in finding a solution to a problem is figuring out where the problem is located -- and this post sort of conflicts with your first...

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for puzzling you. I have to restart only the computer that went to sleep and woke up. Just doing some search on Google and this seems to be a common problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no problem connecting to my Windows 7 PC from my Mac. The difference is my PC never goes to sleep. It stays on as it is the main itunes server and file server of my house. My Mac sleeps and wakes all the time as I close the lid to move it around.

So I guess my first suggestion is to try to keep the Windows 7 box on for a week or two (while trying to connect with your wake from sleep Mac)- and see if the problem goes away. That is a a sucky answer though as that is a lot of power used when you don't need it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guys, I tried to turn off the built-in firewall and suddenly I can connect to a PC that was in sleep mode, I can also connect to a PC from my Mac that was in sleep mode. Did a plenty of tests with putting the PC and/or the Mac to sleep and waking them and I can still connect OK. The only problem is that when I was connected to the PC and put my Mac to sleep, the connection didn't work and I had to reconnect after the Mac woke up. However, this happened only sometimes, not always.

My question is: is it safe to leave the firewall turned off? I think it was off when I bought the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At home it should be fine to have it off. Others are of the opinion that you can keep it off all the time (which is why Apple has it off by default because you don't really need it)

I do have my firewall on - and don't have these connection issues coming from sleep.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.