• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Eliminating Restocking Fees at Apple Retail Stores, Adding Personal Setup for M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
So you can technically borrow a mac for free now...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That's pretty awesome...those restocking fees can be pretty expensive.

I know that MANY folks aren't sure (if they are a "switcher") or are buying a newer model Mac...if the computer they purchased is right for them. And you really don't know until you get home, set it up, install your apps., and use it to be 100% sure.

I think that this new policy will really help...and may even get more Windows computer users to give Mac's a try. Another positive outcome could also be...that more "refurbished" Mac's (at lower prices than new) will be available potentially due to more returns.:)

- Nick

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I know that MANY folks aren't sure (if they are a "switcher") or are buying a newer model Mac...if the computer they purchased is right for them.
and
Another positive outcome could also be...that more "refurbished" Mac's will be available.

Those are two things I was thinking that make this a good move!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I was thinking the exact same things Nick. This is a win-win situation for everyone. Good on Apple!

Doug

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was thinking the exact same things Nick. This is a win-win situation for everyone. Good on Apple!

Doug

Just one more way Apple is going the "extra mile" to make customers happy!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
that more "refurbished" Mac's (at lower prices than new) will be available potentially due to more returns.:)

- Nick

Those are two things I was thinking that make this a good move!

Doug

This can only be a good thing. The amount of times you here "Oh i so want a Mac but they are to much $ ATM" Now only to look in a refurb store for that Great priced Mac . . . .

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think that this new policy will really help...and may even get more Windows computer users to give Mac's a try. Another positive outcome could also be...that more "refurbished" Mac's (at lower prices than new) will be available potentially due to more returns.

I'm going to take a "wait and see" attitude on this one. No company wants to lose profits and Apple is no exception.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apple must feel that they don't get enough returns to make having the fee worthwhile or they feel they are rich enough and don't need the fee to make ends.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I hope you're right but one has to wonder why after all these years of charging a 10% restocking fee, they've changed their minds? I remain suspicious..... :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope you're right but one has to wonder why after all these years of charging a 10% restocking fee, they've changed their minds? I remain suspicious..... :(

Knowing "how different" Apple can be compared to other retailers (especially when it comes to customer service)...maybe this announcement (if true) has a chance of not having any strings attached.:)

Apple has done some confusing things in the recent past...such as the $29 dollar Snow Leopard disk...who knows!;)

I'm "holding my breath" hoping that it's true.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm "holding my breath" hoping that it's true.

You're turning blue Nick! :) I'm kinda leaning toward the TANSTAAFL attitude. Remember that from the Robert Heinlein 1966 SciFi Novel called the "Moon is a Harsh Mistress"?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're turning blue Nick! :) I'm kinda leaning toward the TANSTAAFL attitude.

I totally understand where you're coming from!:) It's kind of the IISTGTBTIPI sort of thing!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.