Keyboard aggravation

L

linmacs

Using a Powerbook G4 with External keyboard.
<RANT>
My keyboard has a "del" that has a little arrow pointing to the right with an "X" inside the arrow. I have to assume that this key is used for the "fwd-del" or "delete the next character after the cursor" function. However, much to my dismay, that key only works in some applications such as MS Word, Firefox, and some other non-Apple software. Of course this IS an Apple keyboard....and when I use it in things such as Safari, I just get an annoying "beep".

I can however do what I want that key to do by pressing ctrl-d. Not very intuitive or Apple-like to push more than one button for a simple function such as delete. Besides, I use the terminal quite a bit and the ctrl-d only works til there are no more characters on the line. Then it does what ctrl-d is supposed to do and kills off the current application. I won't even get in to my other frustrations with the terminal.app here, suffice it to say, it does not work right in several ways.
</RANT>

So, I am new to Macs and really like them otherwise. How can I fix the problem with using the fwd-delete key? I normally use it quite a bit when typing and type-o'ing and it is slowing me down.
:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
linmacs said:
Using a Powerbook G4 with External keyboard.
<RANT>
My keyboard has a "del" that has a little arrow pointing to the right with an "X" inside the arrow. I have to assume that this key is used for the "fwd-del" or "delete the next character after the cursor" function. However, much to my dismay, that key only works in some applications such as MS Word, Firefox, and some other non-Apple software. Of course this IS an Apple keyboard....and when I use it in things such as Safari, I just get an annoying "beep".

I can however do what I want that key to do by pressing ctrl-d. Not very intuitive or Apple-like to push more than one button for a simple function such as delete. Besides, I use the terminal quite a bit and the ctrl-d only works til there are no more characters on the line. Then it does what ctrl-d is supposed to do and kills off the current application. I won't even get in to my other frustrations with the terminal.app here, suffice it to say, it does not work right in several ways.
</RANT>

So, I am new to Macs and really like them otherwise. How can I fix the problem with using the fwd-delete key? I normally use it quite a bit when typing and type-o'ing and it is slowing me down.
:eek:

That key is a forward delete key. It does work in Safari, or any time you are in a text-entry/edit mode of an app. If you are having trouble in Safari you may need to reset Safari. But before you do that, what exactly were you trying to do when this would not work?

Also, the key combo Crtl+D does nothing unless you are in Terminal, where it acts as a forward delete. The key command to kill off (quit) an app is Command+Q.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
i actually use my apple keyboard with my pc.
I just plugged my apple keyboard into my ibook, and it works fine here. even in the safari.
maybe ibooks are better than powerbooks. lol

OP
L

linmacs

Ok -- Figured out the problem with my fwd-del once I saw other peopl had no problem.....

I have been trying to makr the key wotk in terminal and one of the things I found to do was to add an entry in the ~/library/keybindings/keybindings file. As I recall I had to create this file. Anyway I deleted the reference to the fwd-del key ,rebooted and it now works. Still not in terminal but where it should work.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.