iTunes doesn't sort/order files properly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Hello,

I have a music album with the files named like this:

XX - Track name.mp3

where XX is the number of the track on the album.

Now when I import this album into the iTunes library, iTunes displays the artist's name and the tracks' names, all of it taken from the mp3 tags. The files are now ordered by the tracks' names but as there are no numbers in the tracks' names in the tags, the album isn't sorted properly.

What should I do?

Reaction score
The number is in the file name, which iTunes disregards. Unfortunately, iTunes has no option of making filenames visible in a column.

I would suggest you rename the songs if you need to sort them, or, more wisely, use the MP3 tags by selecting a song, choosing "Get Info", and then adding a track number to the song.

Hit "Next" at the bottom and do this for all your songs in the album. Now, when you group your songs by album, they will show up in the order you defined.

Good (legally obtained) MP3s would already have this information in their tags.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.