Is it possible to watch a DVD?

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm weighing up the pros and cons of getting either Apple TV or a Blu-Ray player... I'm in the UK so don't have NetFlix (or a PS3). What I do have is a UK equivalent to Netflix which is called LoveFilm. You can either rent DVDs/BluRays or watch films online. I currently do the DVD thing or watch movies online on my MacBook Pro, but I would ideally like to be able to watch them on a bigger screen.
My question is - could I watch a DVD on my TV by playing it on my MBP through Apple TV?

Thanks fiona :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Not that I know of, no. You can either stream videos from whatever source is available in your country of origin or you can play contents of your iTunes Library, which doesn't include DVDs.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for that... will go back to original idea of getting a Blu-Ray player then :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks for that... will go back to original idea of getting a Blu-Ray player then :)

Well that was a simple fix ;P

I do have a solution for you though . . . . AirFlick !!!!

Have a read of my thread Want to stream to ATV2 without JailBreaking it... Then this might be for you !!! . .

I havnt personally tried out the DVD on this very Alpha App as yet but have a read of DVDs are playing back on my Apple TV using AirFlick and AirPlay!

Could be of somehelp could not be but i think this will be the future without having to JailBreak the device :)

Cheers

WARNING : Its still on Alpha stage but i have streamed quite a few different codecs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Or you could just hook your MBP up to your TV directly via HDMI and save yourself the cost of the BR player?

It's an option worth considering IMO. If I ever went that route, I'd invest in a stand alone external DVD drive and hook that up to the MBP as well, just to prevent over usage of your internal DVD drive. Yeah, it's going a bit far with the idea, but I chalk that up to my idiosyncratic tendencies. (OCD, really)

Doug

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks people... I had a late Crimble present of a £50 Amazon voucher today so I bought a Sony Blu-Ray player... don't worry though, I'm such a Mac Addict I'm sure I'll end up with Apple TV soon as well :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks people... I had a late Crimble present of a £50 Amazon voucher today so I bought a Sony Blu-Ray player... don't worry though, I'm such a Mac Addict I'm sure I'll end up with Apple TV soon as well :)

LOL And with that statement i can see the ATV2 in your place real soon. It will be too much and i can see you getting one haha ;P

Glad you found a work around

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Airflick sounds promising...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Airflick sounds promising...

Yea sure does. Just hope she keeps developing it well, past the Alpha stages. Good someone has come up with something that doesnt require a JB IMO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
I just buy or rent DVDs and use Handbrake to make an MP4 file (free to download and it copies protected DVDs). Then the file goes in iTunes and can be shown on the TV via my Apple TV2 and loaded onto my iPad, MacBook and iPod.

Copying a DVD takes roughly real time so I just copy in the background while doing other things or leave overnight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.