Save As... dialog boxes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Hello,

I've configured Finder to display in List View and group items by kind. But Save As and Open dialog boxes open in Column View grouped by name and I have to manually configure them to mach the display settings I use in Finder. Is there a way for me to change settings for all Save As and Open dialog boxes of all apps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hello,

I've configured Finder to display in List View and group items by kind. But Save As and Open dialog boxes open in Column View grouped by name and I have to manually configure them to mach the display settings I use in Finder.

Why? Just a preference, or is there a practical/functional reason?

Reaction score
I can't speak for chomper, but in my case, I frequently name files similarly and it helps to find a similar file in the dialog, click on it, and then edit the portion of the new file's name which needs changing. It saves time and improves consistency.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
Default Folder X (though it costs money) is such an excellent addition for Open/Save dialog boxes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I can't speak for chomper, but in my case, I frequently name files similarly and it helps to find a similar file in the dialog, click on it, and then edit the portion of the new file's name which needs changing. It saves time and improves consistency.

Not sure I understand how having Save dialogs show List View changes anything for you. Column View can also Arrange By Kind. I get the consistency angle, as a personal preference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.