Switching to iTunes from WinAmp question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Hello,

I'm new to Mac and I would like to start using iTunes. On my Windows 7 PC, I have a harddisk dedicated to storing a very large collection of MP3 files. In WinAmp, I set the Library folder to be the whole E: drive, WinAmp scanned it and I was ready to go (I emphasize that WinAmp doesn't move files to some obscure locations, doesn't rename them - nothing, it just scans the contents of the drive. I emphasize this because I have a feeling that Apple applications do a lot of rather nasty things on the sly - e.g. when I opened a remote mp3 file, iTunes copied it to its obscure folder on my Mac, I had to switch this behaviour off). Now I want to do the same "WinAmp-ish" stuff in iTunes. I've already hooked up a Mac-Pc network and can access the E: drive with the mp3 files from my Mac. I want iTunes to scan the content of the E: drive and use it as my mp3 library. No renaming, moving or whatever of the original mp3 files - they and the folders they are residing in must stay absolutely intact.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
To change where your iTunes music is stored, click iTunes, Preferences, Advanced, and then click the Change button next to the iTunes Media folder location box.

In the same place you can also set iTunes so that it will not copy files to that location by unchecking the box labeled Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library.

You should also uncheck the box labeled Keep iTunes Media folder organized, since you want to do this yourself.

After you've made those adjustments to your settings, open your drive in Finder, and drag and drop all your music folders into iTunes. Depending on the size of your library, the database could take a while to populate.

Keep in mind this process is not automatic. If you add 100 new mp3s to your libary, you'll need to drag them into iTunes as well. (Unless you're buying music from iTunes, in which case it adds the purchases to your library anyway).

This next bit has nothing to do with your question, but I feel like I want to share this experience with you. But if you're not interested, don't read further.

When I first switched to OSX several years ago, I was a bit of a control freak. I liked everything my way because I was used to it. On Windows, I worked hard with my folder structures because I used them every day in a number of ways. But OSX is a different type of system. It wasn't until I learned to let go that I learned how magnificent this system really is. Letting go on Windows is a recipe for disaster with lost files, malware infiltration, degrading performance, difficulty backing up, and more. Letting go on a Mac is the path to an easier life.

Try not to fight it so much. You'll save yourself a lot of aggravation.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
When I first switched to OSX several years ago, I was a bit of a control freak. I liked everything my way because I was used to it. On Windows, I worked hard with my folder structures because I used them every day in a number of ways. But OSX is a different type of system. It wasn't until I learned to let go that I learned how magnificent this system really is. Letting go on Windows is a recipe for disaster with lost files, malware infiltration, degrading performance, difficulty backing up, and more. Letting go on a Mac is the path to an easier life.

Try not to fight it so much. You'll save yourself a lot of aggravation.

Thanks for the tip, I had the suspicion that I should behave in this way. I'm starting to like the idea of having my stuff neatly organized in my Home folder. Btw, you should see my folder structure on my Windows PC. :)

Anyway, is there a way for me to "rescan" the folders I dragged and dropped to iTunes earlier? WinAmp has this option and I think it's called "Rescan watched folders".

Reaction score
The only way I can think of -- and I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong -- is to select everything in the iTunes database and delete it. Then go back to Finder, open the music drive and drag it back on in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.