Can you set a specific download folder for the OS X app store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Can you set a specific download folder for the OS X app store?
I looked everywhere and could not find an option for this. Is it possible?

Reaction score
Goes right into your app folder. If it is a big deal to you and creation of an "app" folder and a simple click and drag should suffice. As far as selecting a destination, I say no (and why?).

C

chas_m

Apps should not be stored anywhere BUT the Applications folder except under some very specific circumstances that Apple would be very unlikely to care about, so I'm gonna say "no."

I'm still waiting for a search bar in the App Store! Overall I like the App Store but it is just bizarre that a simple search function is missing ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I'm still waiting for a search bar in the App Store! Overall I like the App Store but it is just bizarre that a simple search function is missing ...

Um, I don't know where you're looking, but there is a search bar on the App Store. At least there is on my Mac. Look at the top of the window to the right of the Featured, Categories, etc. tabs.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apps should not be stored anywhere BUT the Applications folder except under some very specific circumstances that Apple would be very unlikely to care about, so I'm gonna say "no."

For Apps I agree.
But for games I have a games folder. And I like to keep my games in the games folder. Not the app folder where the app store puts the games in.

Reaction score
You can always move the app - though I would recommend keeping this Games folder within the Applications folder. Permissions can be a bit painful in OS X.

I suppose when 10.7 comes with its home screens all this will go away. I do hope that Folders there won't have a 12-app limit -_-.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The default install path for the Xcode developer tools is /Developer. There are deviations from the norm and although it is suggested that Applications be installed to /Applications, they by no means need to be there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I have been moving them - but they need Authentication to do so. Someone else asked this question - I believe in the Apps Forum. When I go back to the App Store it still knows that it is installed even though I moved it to a folder within Applications. I don't know what will happen when an update comes - but if I have to move it again I guess I'll live.

I know that folders within the Applications folder is frowned upon but Apps like Bevy take advantage of it and organize applications by folders. That way all my games are grouped, multimedia are grouped,etc etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I know that folders within the Applications folder is frowned upon but Apps like Bevy take advantage of it and organize applications by folders. That way all my games are grouped, multimedia are grouped,etc etc.

By who ?? Apple ?? or just the general public ?? If its the general public then they have no idea what your doing so it shouldnt be a problem ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I have been chastised by couple of long time apple users for making folders in the Applications folder. One of my friend's reasoning was that he could click on Applications in the Dock and type in the app. I use quicksilver so I do the same thing without having to keep all my apps in the same folder.

I see no ill effects other than I have to move the install if I use the App Store (and maybe the same thing again if I update). As I said it also helps Bevy.

C

chas_m

No, folders WITHIN /Applications is not a problem. The only programs that might have a problem with that are Apple's own programs (Software Update looks to /Applications to see what needs updating, but doesn't seem to look in subfolders, so if its not at the root level of /Applications SU thinks you don't have it). For third-party items, subfolders in /Applications is perfectly fine.

Apps in folders *outside* of /Applications (or Users/[you]/Applications if you're that sort), THAT'S a bad idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have been chastised by couple of long time apple users for making folders in the Applications folder. One of my friend's reasoning was that he could click on Applications in the Dock and type in the app. I use quicksilver so I do the same thing without having to keep all my apps in the same folder.

HAHA ok .... There is some funny people in this world then isnt there . . . .

Im the same as you in the using of Quicksilver. Its such a great little App to play around with. Its invaluable to me, having the built in Clipboard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.