• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Does anyone else on here build their own battery packs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I've been building my own lipo/ion/nmh packs for years, but have recently been out of the loop for about a year. I just noticed that the forum I was on has been shut down, which was the gathering point for listing all stats. Anyone out there on this forum? I seem to remember there being someone on here who claimed to build batteries...if my memory doesn't fail me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are you talking "battery packs" for laptops (replacement batteries)?

I started a thread over 2 years ago where I was going to rebuild a laptop battery for a 12 year-old Apple laptop...unfortunately I got lazy & never got it done. Now I'm concerned that the $40 I spent on replacement cells may have been wasted.:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Dang . . . I had no idea you could build your own batteries..... Especially Mac Notebook ones at that . . . Will keep a eye out on this thread and if you gents have any links to info to check out would be gratefully appreciated

Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Dang . . . I had no idea you could build your own batteries..... Especially Mac Notebook ones at that . . . Will keep a eye out on this thread and if you gents have any links to info to check out would be gratefully appreciated

Cheers

Sometimes rebuilding a laptop battery is not as easy as it sounds. If the wrong replacement cells are used...then laptop battery runtime can be a little as only 15-30 minutes.

I've read many stories where folks were trying to rebuild a laptop battery...they used pretty high capacity rechargeable batteries (something you might use for a digital camera)...did the rebuild...and got very poor runtime.

So the challenges are:

- finding the proper rechargeable battery cells (very important)
- opening the old laptop battery housing (without breaking it)
- disassembling the old "battery pack" (remembering how everything comes apart {including desoldering}...photos help a bunch)
- putting everything back together (including some soldering)

In my application...it would cost me approx. $40-$45 dollars to rebuild a battery (assuming I got the correct cells & put everything together properly) that would cost $100-$120 brand new.

It's definitely a project that's more complex than it sounds.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
It's definitely a project that's more complex than it sounds.;)

- Nick

Ahh ok.. But we are here to be challenged arnt we.
Would pay to score a OLD battery somewhere to try out, dis assembling and what not . . . .
Does sound rather interesting though .... Thanks Nick

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Are you talking "battery packs" for laptops (replacement batteries)?
- Nick
No, not for macbooks, just for uses with specific connectors. But I know it's possible to build your own laptop battery out of lion/lipo cells/packs, as long as the battery compartment can be taken apart. I don't think I will try that though. I've only built battery packs that connect to specific connectors for use in recreational/hobby things.

My old lipo charger(Bantam) has finally stopped working. That was more than $250! I'm looking to build a new pack for my new helicopter, as well as get a new charger/balancer, but I am out of touch with what is good now-a-days. Now anything Pigoo3? Know if Orion still make good lion/lipo cells?

Sometimes rebuilding a laptop battery is not as easy as it sounds. If the wrong replacement cells are used...then laptop battery runtime can be a little as only 15-30 minutes.
- Nick

So true! It can be tricky, but you can make a set that can out power and outrun another set for a lot cheaper than some other company will sell it for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.