• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Leaving Fully-Charged Devices Plugged In

Reaction score
Is it a general rule to unplug devices when they're charged so that the battery doesn't get over-loaded or does it depend on the device? Like I heard some devices will automatically stop drawing power once they reach the full limit. I was kind of under the impression all charging devices work like this but apparently not.

Does a MacBook work this way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is it a general rule to unplug devices when they're charged so that the battery doesn't get over-loaded or does it depend on the device? Like I heard some devices will automatically stop drawing power once they reach the full limit. I was kind of under the impression all charging devices work like this but apparently not.

Does a MacBook work this way?

I'll give you an example of a device that has a battery that gets charged...and always remains plugged in...it's called a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply):

Uninterruptible power supply - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

42-101-011-S01

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
So the MacBook's battery doesn't stop drawing power even after it's fully charged? Because the battery on a Dell laptop does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So the MacBook's battery doesn't stop drawing power even after it's fully charged? Because the battery on a Dell laptop does.

The link I posted answers the question. Did you read it?

OP
M
Reaction score
I just did now and, I don't see the answer to that question. It just speaks of lithium ion batteries and how they work, not whether or not its ok to leave the laptop plugged in after it's reached 100%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing.

Apple does not recommend keeping the battery plugged in 100% of the time only because you will not be letting the juices run occasionally, not because of fear of overcharging.
They give the example of during the commute to work using your notebook, and charging it while at work and then when leaving work using it on battery power.

This is allowing the juices to flow as when the notebook is on charger fully charged the batteries juices aren't flowing, meaning that it is running of mains power, just as is the case with iPhones, iPods, etc.

If you are using your notebook on mains power all the time, and if not letting it run off battery at all, it is recommended to calibrate the battery once a month.
This gets the juices flowing.

If there was a fear of overcharging, Apple would say do not keep the notebook plugged in once the battery charge is at 100% because it will overcharge, or damage the battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just did now and, I don't see the answer to that question. It just speaks of lithium ion batteries and how they work, not whether or not its ok to leave the laptop plugged in after it's reached 100%.

You obviously didn't read the whole thing. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPhone 3GS 32GB
When Apple replaced my MacBook battery recently, I was advised to follow this procedure:

1) Charge the new battery to 100%
2) Allow it to drop to 50%
3) Charge it back to 100%
4) Run the battery right down until it dies, and leave it overnight to completely drain it.
5) Charge back up to 100% and then use as normal.

I always try to let my battery drain completely, and rarely charge it until it dies.

It was once explained to me by someone at Orange - that a phones battery is like a jar of jam, if you constantly top up the jar without emptying it first, what you get is a load of mouldy jam at the bottom! I guess that's the same philosophy for laptop batteries.....?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It was once explained to me by someone at Orange - that a phones battery is like a jar of jam, if you constantly top up the jar without emptying it first, what you get is a load of mouldy jam at the bottom! I guess that's the same philosophy for laptop batteries.....?

That was true back in the "old days" when rechargeable batteries had the "memory effect" issue (I think nickel cadmium-batteries)...not so applicable with batteries that have been used in apple laptops for at least 4-5 years.

I've mentioned this before...I have my laptop plugged in 99.98% of the time...and I let it run on the battery for 1-2 hours/month. I still get 4.5-5 hours total runtime on a full charge (this is on a battery that's supposed to get 5 hours). My laptops battery is 2.5 years old.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.