• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just did my first EA Sports Active workout

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Definitely not the intensity of P90x / Insanity that I've been doing but it's a lot of fun. I like the fact that it has a heart rate monitor and it tracks everything. It is something I see myself doing more than one workout at a time since it's not so intense but it's more interactive and fun.

Anyone else have any experience with EA Sports Active?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm glad you brought this up. I saw my first commercial last night for EA Sports Active (not sure if it's new, or if I just haven't been watching the right channels where it's advertised)...but it seemed interesting.

Like you said...it is certainly not the intensity of P90x...and being a marathon runner myself...I guessing that it's not that intensity either. When I first saw it advertised last night...I thought that it was for a "virtual workout" with "virtual workout humans" that you hooked this program up to a treadmill or stationary bike (which I thought would be REALLY cool)...but then realized that there might be interface problems...and that it is actually designed to be used with gaming console's.

Kind of cool that it has a HR monitor. I use an HR monitor when I train/run/race...and find it very useful to track HR during a workout, and from a historical perspective as you get more fit.

It sounds like this product is certainly better than no workout at all (and could be fun as well)...but that it may not be a substitute for a "traditional workout"...such as weight-lifting, running, cycling, swimming, etc.

I'm interested to hear what other folks have to say about this from a workout & fun perspective...which may help me decide whether to buy it for my PS3 or Wii.:)

- Nick

OP
s2odin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds like this product is certainly better than no workout at all (and could be fun as well)...but that it may not be a substitute for a "traditional workout"...such as weight-lifting, running, cycling, swimming, etc.

I'm interested to hear what other folks have to say about this from a workout & fun perspective...which may help me decide whether to buy it for my PS3 or Wii.:)

- Nick

From what I've seen, there is sprinting activities, bicycling activities, things like that. It also comes with one resistance band, but you can substitue stronger bands or even dumb bells for the band. I will probably do that on a later workout tonight to see what its like.

One thing I don't like (and I have read about) is that on the Wii version, you don't use the wiimote 100% of the time, and it times out sometimes, which will stop your activity (since when a wii mote gets dc'ed you have to reactivate it).

I will go through a different workout (they have like basketball workouts, cardio, upper body, lower body, etc workouts) and I will do one later and report back.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the additional info.:)

I was thinking about this subject while I went out for a running workout this afternoon...and while I said that this workout may not be as intense as a running, cycling, swimming, P90x, etc. workout...it still could be a decent substitute for an aerobics workout that someone might do at a class at a gym or health club.

But like any workout (especially when you are by yourself)...you really have to be self-motivated to maintain a good intensity level to get the most out of the workout. And have a place in your home to do this that you're not shaking things off the walls or if in an apartment (2nd floor or higher)...not driving your neighbors below crazy with all the jumping/running/etc!;)

- Nick

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I have the first version of EA Sports Active. I kept up with it to the end and beat the game. Then afterwards, the game just ended up being redundant and boring, and the challenge of the game flatlined for me. The game at that point recommended to start over. I hope Active 2 isn't the same, I'd be interested in knowing.

I've resorted back to regular strength training in the end. I'm slim enough that I don't think I need the cardio, nor the toning exercises.

OP
s2odin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I did a full body - hard workout.
I don't really feel anything from any of the exercises I did, but I know there was a lot of cardio in it.
42 minutes. 257.4 calories burned. 122 average heart rate.
I found that the bands are ok for some exercises, but dumb bells are best for others.

The mountain biking I enjoyed a lot. Basically you squat to accelerate, jump to go over jumps, and sprint to go up hills.

The remote only went off on me a total of 3 times altogether.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
42 minutes. 257.4 calories burned. 122 average heart rate.

One of the most important things regarding tracking your HR or average HR during a workout is what percentage it is of your maximum HR. Most people don't know this value...and it's actually very difficult to determine your maximum HR.

Max. HR does vary quite a bit from individual to individual...and it can vary quite a bit even among individuals of the same age & gender. There is a VERY inaccurate formula "floating around" out there that says to calculate maximum HR it's:

220 - age = max HR

...it's very very inaccurate. Sure you can find some folks that it works for...but I'm also a member of some fitness forums...and many folks I know from these forums track their workout HR (and know their max. HR)...and the formula I mentioned does not work for many of them.

On the other hand...some folks may just want to keep things simple...and just track their average HR when doing the EA Sports Active workouts...and that's just fine.:) In theory...as someone gets in better shape (and if the workout intensity & workout time remain the same)...the average HR should decrease.

Just some info from a long time marathoner,;)

- Nick

OP
s2odin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In theory...as someone gets in better shape (and the workout intensity remains the same)...the average HR should decrease.

Yea I heard this in high school. I also heard that the more in shape you are, the lower your resting heart rate is.

All I know is over the past week, I have gone from running a mile and a half in ~10 minutes and panting like crazy to running 1.6 miles in 10 minutes barely breaking a sweat and at a fairly slow pace.

As far as Active goes, I will probably stick with it and just modify things and such like that. It's definitely more fun than Insanity haha just not as intense.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I heard this in high school. I also heard that the more in shape you are, the lower your resting heart rate is.

Absolutely right!

All I know is over the past week, I have gone from running a mile and a half in ~10 minutes and panting like crazy to running 1.6 miles in 10 minutes barely breaking a sweat and at a fairly slow pace.

When you're consistant with working out...you can be pleasantly surprised at how fast you improve. But just like the theory behind P90x (which you seem to be familiar with)...your performance can plateau...so sometimes you have to mix things up ("muscle confusion" the term used by P90x).

So with running that can mean:

- shorter but faster workouts
- longer but slower workouts
- running hills
- etc.

Keep it up!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.