Classics Replacement For Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Really all I'm trying to do is run the original Myst game, which I find all the trouble I'm going to pretty stupid, becuase it will probably be way too hard and I'll give up. But, I guess I have to see, cause I've been working on it for a while and I gotta see it through.

I downloaded Mac OS 1.0 Update from Apple, and want to run it on Classics. I need the disk image so I can run Sheepshaver, but Classics doesn't work and everytime I try to get an OS I run into the problem that Classics doesn't work. So what do us Snow Leopard users do now?

Ahhh!! This sucks. Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I installed Myst 3 on Snow Leopard, there are a few things you have to do to get it to work, like a patch for OSX installation and disabling one of the processors to make sure the audio didnt keep cutting in and out.
Try this forum: [Mac] Myst III: Exile for Mac OS X - installation - Topic Powered by Social Strata
read that page, I know its about myst 3 but will help alot, there is also a discussion on the original myst osx installation on that site somewhere.

Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
E
Reaction score
I wish I could say that does help but I'm trying to run the original game from 1993, which is superior in the music wasn't shortened and so the sound effects are all there.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you have Windows installed on your Mac, I'll give you a little tip... with games that old, it can be a nightmare tweaking emulators to get them running. Fortunately, there is an easy solution: GOG.com (Good Old Games). Now, they are specifically set up to be run in the newer versions of Windows, but they are ready to play without any special tweaks - and yes, they have the original Myst:

Myst: Masterpiece Edition - GOG.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I'm also looking for a way to use Propellerhead's Rebirth music program which only runs on Panther but I have SL on an '07 MBP .
No such luck yet. :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
GOG.com (Good Old Games)
Psh they don't have Grim Fandango.
I guess only a site named Z0OMGAWSUMGAMES.com would have it =/

But seriously, I think they made Myst on the xbox iirc. You could probably get one really cheap on craigslist.

OP
E
Reaction score
All I needed to know was what replaced classics, every version of Myst after the first mac version in 93 was not the same as the first

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
All I needed to know was what replaced classics, every version of Myst after the first mac version in 93 was not the same as the first

"Classic" mode was a stopgap measure to permit older PowerPC Macs to run "Classic" Mac OS apps that didn't work in OS X. It has since been discontinued now that the Mac shifted over to Intel.

In 1993, Macs would have likely been running MacOS System 7 - and could have been using a Motorola 680x0-series CPU *or* a PowerPC (which was brand new at the time). I'd be willing to bet that the original MYST was developed for 680x0, which is what the vast majority of Macs used at the time.

So, to run it on a modern Mac, you'd need a 680x0 emulator and a copy of System 7 (which I believe was released to the Public Domain and was at one time available via Apple's FTP servers - but as I recall, it was released on Floppy Disc images).

Long story made short, you're going to expend a tremendous amount of effort to get the very first release of MYST running. I don't recall there being much difference between the original release and latter releases for Windows. This is why I recommended looking into GOG.com, which has these software pre-built to run on modern machines with very little fuss. At most, you'd have to install Windows in a virtual machine.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks, unfortunately there must be a way because there's a torrent of it and people were getting it to work through bassilisk or sheepshaver somehow. I don't have a startup disc so it would be hard. I guess I'll just play RealMyst and enjoy it for what it is. But the problem with the newer myst games was that they didn't provide the full soundtrack and noises that are hints to something don't have a sense of space. These are some of the issues which is why original fans not me were upset at the new versions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.