External Hard Drive and PS3

Reaction score
Hi,

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've been trying for several hours to get my PS3 to recognize my new WD 1 TB Hard drive.

From everything I've read, it needs to be formatted in FAT32, which I did under the Disk Utility on my Mac. Then I made folders named "PHOTO", "VIDEO", "GAME", and "MUSIC", put a couple files on it and plugged it in. No dice.

I tried the same process on my Windows XP machine, with no luck again. Can anyone point me in the right direction, please? This is getting really frustrating.

***EDIT: FIXED***
I have no idea why, but if I plug my USB hub in first, then the External Drive, it works just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hi. From reading around 2 things stand out.
Formatting in Windows is bad as it limits FAT32 partitions to 32GB, which is no good, so reformat it again in Mac OS.
Secondly, the folders you made are fine, but you have to have a top level folder titled "PS3" for those folders to sit in. You may have done this, but you didn't mention it.
Try that first and then come back.

Reaction score
Same Issue

Hi there, I'm having the exact same problem....followed all the proper steps...did the formatting on my Mac. I first didn't create the PS3 folder and then the 4 sub folders. Now I have this set up properly still no dice. When selecting my USB device in the PS3 says "There are no titles"

Need help as well! Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.