Help finding a PDF app?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd
I know about Preview, but I need a little more horsepower. I had a program called cute pdf pro for my windows machine that I used to keep scanned PDFs of the kids' school work for their portfolio. I need something that I can scan once side of a unit, then scan the other, and then the software puts them in order automatically with a simple command. Does anyone know of a PDF app that can do that? I'd rather not have to individually drag pages into the proper order.

Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
PDF creation is built into OS X - if you go to print a document, you'll notice a PDF button in the bottom left corner. If you click it, you'll have the option to save a PDF.

So, all you need is an app that scans the pages in order. I haven't used it for scanning documents, but I believe Image Capture can do this. And once it's scanned, it's just a matter of printing to PDF.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Scanning in order defeats the purpose. :) Everything is front and back for the most part, and I don't have all day to scan one page at a time. I have been hunting and it seems I might need Windows just for this one program. Thanks for trying to help, though! :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Scanning in order defeats the purpose. :) Everything is front and back for the most part, and I don't have all day to scan one page at a time. I have been hunting and it seems I might need Windows just for this one program. Thanks for trying to help, though! :)

I'd imagine Acrobat Standard can do this. Have you looked at that yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
It seems like Acrobat does - but Acrobat isn't cheap.
Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard * Scan a paper document to PDF

Sides Specify single or double-sided scanning. If you select Both Sides and the settings of the scanner are for only one side, the scanner setting overrides the Acrobat settings.
Note: You can scan both sides of pages even on scanners that do not themselves support two-sided scanning. When Both Sides is selected, a dialog box appears after the first sides are scanned. You can then reverse the original paper documents in the tray, and select the Scan Reverse Side (Put Reverse Of Sheets) option in that dialog box. This method produces a PDF with all pages in the proper sequence.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about PDFPen?

There's a free trial on the site - looks like it can reorder pages, but the page doesn't get into specifics about how it works. I'd give it a download and see how it works in your case.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another option to consider - VueScan.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I haven't been around in a few days. The kiddos got sick and I have been busy. I have put in emails to a few of the Acrobat alternatives and am hoping to get a definitive answer. For now I am copying the backs of the pages beforehand because everything else takes too much time. :/ I am trying to avoid putting Windows on my iMac but might have to because I don't have the money for Acrobat.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another option to consider - VueScan.

Thank you! I downloaded the manual and it will do exactly what my cutepdf pro did. I am a very happy camper right now! :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you! I downloaded the manual and it will do exactly what my cutepdf pro did. I am a very happy camper right now! :D

Nice! Very glad I stumbled upon something suitable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.