• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What Have You Learned on Mac-Forums in 2010?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Thought it might be nice to look back at some of the threads I had subscribed to and see how the year went. What did I learn? Well, alot. Anyhow, I was wondering what gifts the forum had given everyone else. Please post if you have something that struck you as useful, anecdotal or just plain funny.

-Based on numerous posts, I learned that this was a difficult year for managing, emptying and otherwise contending with .Trash.

-Other than that, I learned how to import Outlook .pst files into Apple Mail using Thunderbird. This was neat when I switched jobs and wanted to keep some useful emails I had gathered over the years.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/1104191-post13.html

Anyone else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well XJ for me it was learning about the wireless capabilities of the Mac and the OS. Bring into that ATV2, iOS and Airport Express i learnt quite a bit about it and still learning.

Now to have my whole entertainment centre revolving around  products, i couldnt be happier.

Thanks to M-F the Mods and all the knowledgable members, i thank you for your brains and making my MacLife just that little bit better.
Not only the Mac knowledge but also for the laughs and social content of the forum . . . . It has been a joy :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
I think what I have learned the most about is whats/how components of the mac work Mac's. (interior)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
For me I think the thing I learnt the most in 2010 was the nitty gritty details about how wireless works. And how it works from airport express/extreme to your Mac. I had a lot of questions about it. And I meant a lot about it.

And in the end I did end up purchasing an Airport Express and I really like it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have learned that there is a limit to the intelligence of man, but that stupidity is infinite.

:D

Happy New Year, all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Well 2010 was definitely another bumper year for switchers.

It seems more and more windows users are discovering the Mac, as the slide of home users that are making the switch just keeps on growing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have learned that any problem related to a Mac which a user doesn't understand is obviously a Virus, Trojan or Malware and that one should therefor panic and assume that horrible things are about to ensue.

I have learned that it is never the users configuration, software, lack of common sense or responsibility. It is always someone else's fault, usually Apples.

I have learned that Mac OSX is, contrary to what one may hear, too difficult to learn and it is therefore easier to load some flavor of Windows on the machine instead.

I have learned that you can not give something away for free but if you call it a "Premium Service" you can sell it for $24.99 a year.

I've learned that if you disagree with the rumors the unwashed masses desperately want to be true you are obviously a troublemaker, spoil sport, whiner or stupid.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have learned that you can not give something away for free but if you call it a "Premium Service" you can sell it for $24.99 a month.

Actually, that's $2.08 per month. ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
-Based on numerous posts, I learned that this was a difficult year for managing, emptying and otherwise contending with .Trash.
I noticed this as well. I'm never really sure how the permissions on the trash changes but it seems to happen more often than it really should.

I also noticed that there are quite a few "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer" threads. In fact, the first hit in Google when searching that phrase is a page from this very forum.

As for me, I'm not sure there is any one thing that was a huge lesson for me but I learned a few small things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I have learned a little more about Time Machine, and much more about running Windows on your Mac.
I have also learned that people still refuse to use search engines of any description, be it google, or forum searches (or specially made ones :p), and would rather ask questions that have been answered millions of times already.
Finally I have learned that there is a main core of about 25 people who answer the majority of questions here, and that all of them are generally top people with a wealth of knowledge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I learned how to tame an unruly flash drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I've learnt that many people that come here for answers are highly thankful for any help or assistance that is given to them, and more often than not, come back to try to help others with anything that they can.

I've also learnt that there are many who come here asking for help, and if they don't get the answers they want, exactly how they want them, they treat you as if you have let them down.

Fortunately, it is the former that seems to be the majority, and makes it a pleasure to keep coming back.

I've learnt that this my facebook. :D

I've learnt that if I google my name, a tonne of hits come up for Mac Forums lol

I've learnt that I know more than I thought I did about Macs for a guy who has had little to do with computers before switching to Macs.

I've learnt that I get a real kick out of reading many of the threads here with the wealth of information, as well as the threads that contain highly inaccurate information.

I've learnt that I love reading the threads that turn into debates as much as i do the threads that turn into post after post of bantering.

I've learnt that I've written I've learnt at the beginning of almost every sentence here :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
As stated before, anything that goes wrong with a computer and can't be understood immediately is a virus.
Whenever I'm bored I head here for laughs and information.
Too many people think that TimeMachine is going to magically rescue them when their HD fails without having an external backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I've learnt that this my facebook. :D

Never thought of it like that but im in total agreeance there (Now where is that poke button and i want a Dislike one too) LOL

I've learnt that if I google my name, a tonne of hits come up for Mac Forums lol

HAHA is the only time my name comes up too and thats the way i like it . . . . . . . (apart from a tatt site)

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I've learned there are far more politically middle and conservative Mac users than I originally thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
that there are no black and white lines, and that theres plenty of grey in the middle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I also learnt that a lot of people just say "use google" as their answer to a problem. That is like saying "I don't want to help you but I know someone or something that will". That's like passing the buck on to someone else.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I also learnt that a lot of people just say "use google" as their answer to a problem. That is like saying "I don't want to help you but I know someone or something that will". That's like passing the buck on to someone else.

That is one thing I try not to do unless it's a URL to the solution.

I have learned to have a lot of patients with people and to try and help even though some really rub me the wrong way. That is why I am here anyway, to help people.

Learned a lot of OSX tricks from many of the quality users we have here at Mac Forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Agreed, but some people are so lazy that they need to be shown how to use Google, because honestly they clearly have no clue. It's why I occasionally link to LMGTFY.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.