How to prevent Finder to copy

Reaction score
Hello,
I was re-organizing my files in Finder the other day. All went fine, except that when I dragged files from one folder to the other, the progress bars shows "COPYING ... files to ..."
Some of the folders my files were intended to go to, also had shortcuts to them in the Location-bar in Finder-windows.
Is it because of the shortcuts that Finder wants to copy files there instead of moving them? And, if so, how can I prevent Finder to make copies of everything and let it just move (or cut-and-paste) the files?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
regular old drag and drop
within the same volume - moves the file
to a different volume - copies the file

to copy a file within the same volume - hold down the option key while dragging
to move a file to a different volume - hold down the command key while dragging

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
... and there's no actual cut and paste of files in Finder.

C

chas_m

There's COPY and paste in Finder, but not CUT and paste. This is a security measure to prevent scrambled or lost data if power goes out or glitches happen during the operation.

Thanks, Apple!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Another option is to use a third party tool like FileCutter. Personally, I prefer having the option to cut and paste on occasion, despite Apple's good intentions.

Reaction score
There's COPY and paste in Finder, but not CUT and paste. This is a security measure to prevent scrambled or lost data if power goes out or glitches happen during the operation.

Thanks, Apple!

Interesting if that is the real reason, as there is a simple solution. All Apple had to do was not cut the actual file, until it is actually copied ;O) Windows does it this way I believe. When you cut, the file becomes ghosted and only is removed when the paste completes. That way, if there is a power failure one doesn't loose the original file.

Don't worry, I love my Mac, but I have yet to read a reasonable reason why cut and paste exists in other applications, but not in finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
All Apple had to do was not cut the actual file, until it is actually copied

Thats what happens when you "move" the file (hold cmd when dropping it)

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I'm not mistaken, it wasn't always possible to do cut and paste in Windows Explorer. Anybody know when that became available? Most people seem to think it's always been around, but, you know, WE wasn't around at one time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Source from Wikipedia... so how true I don't know...

Apple Computer widely popularized the computer-based cut-and-paste paradigm through the Lisa (1981) and Macintosh (1984) operating systems and applications. Apple mapped the functionalities to key-combinations consisting of the Command key (a special modifier key) held down while typing the letters X (for cut), C (for copy), and V (for paste), choosing a handful of keyboard sequences to control basic editing operations. The keys involved all cluster together at the left end of the bottom row of the standard QWERTY keyboard, and each key is combined with a special modifier key to perform the desired operation:
Z to undo
X to cut
C to copy
V to paste
CUA (for OS/2) also uses combinations of the Insert, Del, Shift and Control keys. Early versions of Windows used the IBM standard. Microsoft later adopted the Apple style key-combinations with the introduction of Windows, choosing the control key as their modifier key which had previously been reserved for sending control characters.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If I'm not mistaken, it wasn't always possible to do cut and paste in Windows Explorer. Anybody know when that became available? Most people seem to think it's always been around, but, you know, WE wasn't around at one time.

Most people have only been using computers for ten or fifteen years.

To them, Windows is as much a part of a computer as a keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would like to say Windows 3.x but could be later like Win95

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would like to say Windows 3.x but could be later like Win95

I was asking when in the sense of time also, not just chronology. So it's narrowed down: 3.x was pre-1995

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.