er, Hello!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17, 2.8mhz, 8Gb - shiny!
Not sure if this is the right place, but thought I'd just post to say Hi.

Got my first mac (Macbook Pro) for Christmas and have been enjoying the whole 'switcher' experience. Had an iPhone for Years, and got an iPad a few weeks ago so am becoming a true apple 'fandad'.

Enjoying my mac experience so far, lovin' the speed and general 'slickness' of the OS and apps. Did a little unix in my youth so it's nice to see how far things have come!

Can't persuade mail to link with my office Exchange server, but I guess that's because it's 2003 and mail wants 2007. wonder why apple made it so easy on the iPhone and IPad though? ** hum, maybe the summer OSX Lion release will fix this? Meantime I just have mail open on ipad alongside the mac when I'm working and that works just fine.

Very impressed with the whole 'integrated' thing about apple kit. I already had an airport to pipe my itunes music from upstairs PC to downstairs amp, iPad and Mac both just picked up on it and used it without me doing a thing so can now choose my music source (PC, Mac, iPad), and control where it plays all from the iPad interface - easy and sweet.

Really like the photo app as well, 'faces' is excellent, auto recognition leads to some funnies but it's given me the excuse to revisit a lot of old pix and re-catalogue them.

Just ordered Civ4 from amazon to play on the mac. one of my fave games and you got to have some 'fun stuff' in among all this multimedia productivity :D

Anyway that's about it for my first post. Looking forward to learning a lot over the coming weeks (months/years) and maybe even migrating away from Windows completely.

Happy New year to all, and if you got this far, thanks for reading :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Welcome to the forums ... and a Happy New Year !

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Congrats on the new Mac! Glad your liking it. Civ 4 is a great game too! Happy New Year!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Welcome! You'll find a wealth of information here.
Looking forward to learning a lot over the coming weeks (months/years) and maybe even migrating away from Windows completely.
And, for a few new habits to acquire, look this over:

Tips for new Mac users:

The green button at the top of a window does not expand the window to fill your screen. Very few windows need the full screen, so what that does is expand the window so it's large enough to handle the content. This will always leave some of the background visible.

The red button does not always quit an application. It often merely closes the active window. The exceptions are those applications that cannot have two or more open windows. The "light" by the application's icon in the Dock will indicate if the app is still running.

You cannot cut and paste files in the Finder as you can in Explorer. To move or copy a file from one place to another, the Mac way is to open both the Target and Source folders, then drag and drop the file or folder. There are nuances depending on where the Target folder is. For example, hold down Option while dragging a file to copy it to a folder on the same volume. 

You cannot see the size of a file or folder in Icon View by holding your mouse over it. You must highlight the item and use Get Info. Or you can use List View, which will show you the size. There are at least four ways to access Get Info, three of them involving the mouse.

You can't make a Finder Window display folders first in all circumstances. There are simply some file types that the OS sorts ahead of folders. There are work-arounds. The simplest, but perhaps most inconvenient, is to put a space at the beginning of each folder name, and sorting by Name.

If you have two folders with the same name, but have a few differences between the contents of same, don't move one to the enclosing folder of the other. OSX will not automatically merge the contents of the two folders. Instead, it will overwrite the target folder with the one you're moving. The differences in the target folder will be lost forever. You will be prompted to confirm that you want to overwrite. Be sure you know what that means before saying yes!

You really don't need anti-virus software. It will just slow your computer down, and there isn't a single virus out there that will infect a Mac. If you run Windows on your Mac, you do have to take precautions for that. And, you can pass a virus on to a Windows user. Just be smart about where you go online and you'll be fine. It's also not necessary to run a defrag program. The Mac OS takes care of that for you. Some Mac users still do it, myself included, but you'll be fine without it.

You cannot selectively delete items that you have "stored" in the Trash. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
To the original poster. Congrats on your new purchase.
Will Civ5 work on your computer? You might like that being a Civ4 fan. And for your Exchange issues, have you tried Thunderbird?
Thunderbird - It
That might fix your issues. I don't think Apple will ever fix that issue. Cause Apple do like to move on and legacy support for old Windows software is something they just don't do. But try thunderbird though.

And one little bit of advice. As a switcher you know about steam right? Well steam for Mac is a good place for Mac games. But there is a lot of others too. There is a lot of games for the Mac. And with the new Mac Applications store (same as the iOS one but for OSX) will be out Jan 6 for Applications and games. Another nice place.

And if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.