imac newbie with wireless problems.

Reaction score
Hi there
I was very recently a regular PC user, which died. My fiance very kindly got me an imac g5 for Christmas, which is great.... but....
When we tried to access our wireless (standard dlink router with virgin media), my mac kept saying the password was incorrect and we couldn't connect (the password was correct).
Our PS3, itouch and iphone were all connected to the wifi with no problems... but the imac just wouldn't connect. So we reset the router, and the network has now gone back to being unsecured and just 'dlink'. It' great that I can now go online, but now we have an unsecured network.
Not sure what to do!!

Also, I have a digital canon camera, which I used to just link to my laptop via usb and I could upload all my images.... However, my camera and imac don't 'talk to each other' and I'm not sure I have the camera CDs anymore, as I never had to use them with my previous laptop. Any suggestions with this?

Cheers very much!

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What wireless security were you using? If it was WEP - then try WPA and see if it helps (WEP doesn't do much for security anyway) If it was WPA - was it WPA or WPA2? It may be that your machine is old enough to not support WPA2.

I usually just plug my SD card into a SD reader and get my photos off of it that way. Last time I tried with a G4 Mac Mini - I just plugged in the Canon camera and iphoto automatically came up and asked to download the pictures.

Reaction score
to answer your question about what to do next: Open an internet browser up on the mac and type in "192.168.1.1" (excluding the quotes). This should take you to a the router's settings. Now I apologize I am not familiar with the d-link interface, but there should be a tab or page that has wireless settings. Under this area there should be a way to create a password or passphrase. If you are given the option choose the WPA/WPA2 setting. My guess is you will have to reconnect your other devices using the new password.
As for your camera, unfortunately not every canon camera is mac compatible, apple has a list of compatible cameras under the support tab on apple.com. Whether this is the problem or not buying a SD card reader will work, as mentioned previous.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.