Various questions

Reaction score
Hi,

1- Is there any free program that allows my to write to an external HD that is in NTFS ?

2- I wanted to see in the finder top bar (where is the datetime, wifi icon, etc) how much of the CPU, RAM, band width is been used. How i can do that ?

3- When you go through folders, and u open a folder that is inside another folder, it opens a new windows instead of show that folder in the same windows, so u finish with a lot off useless windows. How i can do to everityme that i open a folder, it show me the content in the same window instead of open a new one ?

Thats 3 for now, but for sure i ll have more... thanks for the patience :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Hi,

1- Is there any free program that allows my to write to an external HD that is in NTFS ?
NTFS-3G for Mac OS X + macfuse - Project Hosting on Google Code Got that from Google. edit: read this: http://blogs.oreilly.com/digitalmedia/2008/12/read-and-write-ntfs-hard-drive.html
2- I wanted to see in the finder top bar (where is the datetime, wifi icon, etc) how much of the CPU, RAM, band width is been used. How i can do that ?
So you want the dock on top?
3- When you go through folders, and u open a folder that is inside another folder, it opens a new windows instead of show that folder in the same windows, so u finish with a lot off useless windows. How i can do to everityme that i open a folder, it show me the content in the same window instead of open a new one ?
In Finder, just above where all the info is located, click this button:
screenshot20101229at654.png

Thats 3 for now, but for sure i ll have more... thanks for the patience :Smirk:
Red .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You mean the menu bar up on top, right? Not the dock...

There is a iStat menu that will display that information when you click on it like any other menu bar item. However, it's ten dollars:
iStat Menus, a Mac app by Bjango

There is also an iStat Dashboard widget which is free and displays all the same information.
Apple - Downloads - Dashboard Widgets - iStat Pro

As for your Finder windows, just do this:
1. Make the Finder the active application.
2. From the Finder menu on the top left, choose Preferences.
3. From the General tab, uncheck the box that says "Always open folders in a new window".

Or you can change to column view.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks both! s2odin i ll read the link tomorrow at work. Oneironaut iStat is cool app, i just installed it!

Another questions:

1- How i can take a snapshoot and edit it as s2odin did ?
2- When i install some app i cant choose the full path to install it, it only show me my HDs, its anyway to search the full path ?

TY!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Thanks both! s2odin i ll read the link tomorrow at work. Oneironaut iStat is cool app, i just installed it!

Another questions:

1- How i can take a snapshoot and edit it as s2odin do ?
Shift + Command + 4 = you choose the area you want to take a screen shot of. Shift + Command + 3 = full screen screen shot
2- When i install some app i cant choose the full path to install it, it only show me my HDs, its anyway to search the full path ?
Yea, it usually installs onto your hard drive, then after it installs, it should have another folder pop up with the file and your apps folder. Just drag it into the Apps folder.
TY!

Answers in red.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks!

1- I installed iStat and it shows me that the battery have 9 cycles and its at 91% of is health!!! Is iStat a reliable source ? If yes, should i take my mac to a reseller to check it ? (img attached)
coconutBattery gives my the same stats... and also shows me that my mac is 28 weeks old, but i bought it about 6 o 7 weeks ago...

2- Its anyway to schedule a shutdown off the mac ?

3- Its any key to send files to the bin ?

Captura de pantalla 2010-12-30 a las 00.01.39.png

C

chas_m

1. Normal. Your Mac had to be MADE before you could buy it, you know! :)
You can try reconditioning the battery (essentially, "let it run all the way down, then charge it all the way up") every month or so as Apple recommends, but your readings are not outside the range of normal.

2. Yes. Energy Saver control panel in system preferences. But there's no reason to shut down the Mac -- just let it sleep. Shutting down is for people who are going to be away from the Mac for greater than 24 hours.

3. Command-delete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Yes, as soon as the battery is in your computer, it starts using some energy, so your battery is actually in the normal range. But as mentioned, you should recalibrate your battery about once a month or two. Just use it on battery power until it runs down, then let it rest for five hours, and finally plug it in until it's fully charged (during which time you can still use it).

I never shut my MBP off. Putting it to sleep will be just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
1- How i can take a snapshoot and edit it as s2odin do ?

There is another way to do this s2odin did not say.
"Shift + Command + 4 = you choose the area you want to take a screen shot of. Shift + Command + 3 = full screen screen shot" - That's what he said.

But Shift + Command + 4 then after that let go of all of the keys and press the space bar. Your mouse cursor changes to a camera. And use the new camera looking mouse cursor to click on an one window. And it takes a screenshot of the open window you clicked on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.