• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple facing court case over privacy breaches . . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This was released only 4 1/2 hrs ago. Doesnt seem like much concern around ATM with the blogger but it could go somewhere

Apple facing court case over privacy breaches ~ ABC Australia

Lawyers preparing the cases say Apple presided over an "intrusive tracking scheme" which allowed advertisers to track which applications users downloaded, how long the programs were used, and how often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Queue the fanboys in 3,2,1...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Queue the fanboys in 3,2,1...

Those are OUTRAGEOUS accusations ! You just stop minding your own business... there's no need since we have someone doing that for you 24/7. Hey, I love it actually. I've always wanted a "big brother" :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This really shouldn't be all that surprising if it's true. I'm not saying this as a way of criticizing Apple (I like Apple) but they are still a corporation like all others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You know Tattooed .. if it was not for lawyers we wouldn't need lawyers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
This is no different to TV or radio advertisers gathering data on how many people are using a certain product so they can more effectively target people with their advertising. That's one downside for Apple being at the top now. Every man and his dog will try to sue them. Cause bigger companies have more money they can be sued out of.

So either sue Google and every other advertiser on the planet or this is a clear case of someone having a grudge on Apple and picking them out for the court action.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Gotta love the lawyers.

What about the lady that sued Starbucks because she spilled the tea on herself and claimed Starbucks didn't tell her it was hot? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It'll be interesting to see what light is shed on this. I wouldn't imagine Apple could be responsible for what a 3rd party app does unless Apple didn't properly test it.
I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Apple is a guilty party in all this (I agree with vansmith's comments), but I would be disappointed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It'll be interesting to see what light is shed on this. I wouldn't imagine Apple could be responsible for what a 3rd party app does unless Apple didn't properly test it.
I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Apple is a guilty party in all this (I agree with vansmith's comments), but I would be disappointed.

Yeah, it certainly detracts some from the "value-added" of the closed system model if the moderators of the system are incompetent, apathetic or sympathetic to these things.

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
Gotta love the lawyers.

What about the lady that sued Starbucks because she spilled the tea on herself and claimed Starbucks didn't tell her it was hot? ;)

It was McDonalds :), and the issue wasn't that the coffee was hot, but it exceeded the legal temperature for a served beverage and she received serious burns. What got McD's in trouble was that the store knew they were breaking the law but wanted their coffee to stay hot longer as a competitive edge (was even advertised as the hottest coffee in town).

(I hate ambulance-chasing lawyers as much as the next guy, but I also hate propagating bad info. There are enough bad lawyer stories without pushing this one around...)

I prefer to bash the rule that says if you have a "dog warning" sign on your property and a burglar breaks in and gets bitten, the property owner is liable because the existence of the sign proves he knew he had a dangerous animal. Never mind that the burglar was breaking the law by being there in the first place...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Gotta love the lawyers.

It was McDonalds :), and the issue wasn't that the coffee was hot, but it exceeded the legal temperature for a served beverage and she received serious burns. What got McD's in trouble was that the store knew they were breaking the law but wanted their coffee to stay hot longer as a competitive edge (was even advertised as the hottest coffee in town).

(I hate ambulance-chasing lawyers as much as the next guy, but I also hate propagating bad info. There are enough bad lawyer stories without pushing this one around...)

I prefer to bash the rule that says if you have a "dog warning" sign on your property and a burglar breaks in and gets bitten, the property owner is liable because the existence of the sign proves he knew he had a dangerous animal. Never mind that the burglar was breaking the law by being there in the first place...

Gotta love those signs and labels that cover peoples' behinds. >_>" ::CAUTION HOT COFFEE::

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The fireworks that are labeled "for outdoor use only" always crack me up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was McDonalds :), and the issue wasn't that the coffee was hot, but it exceeded the legal temperature for a served beverage and she received serious burns.

Actually no, it's not. The case you're referring to is a case from a very long time ago.

The Starbucks case is very recent. Luckily the judge told the lady basically she was crazy and to get out of his court room.

We need more judges like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The fireworks that are labeled "for outdoor use only" always crack me up.

My favorite is that snow blower manuals often say that you can't use it on the roof. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There's always packages of nuts that have warnings that the package may contain nuts too. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Gotta love those signs and labels that cover peoples' behinds. >_>" ::CAUTION HOT COFFEE::
Or the one I find the funniest. On a bag of peanuts:
"Product contains peanuts. Don't eat if you are allergic".
Well duh a bag of peanuts would have peanuts in it.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
See theses signs always when i was doing Interstate ...

"Dont Smoke Flammable Liquids"

Cracked me up every time lol

On the story though i do agree with all being it a Lawyers world ..... Brings tears to my eyes with people ALWAYS looking for the easy way out ........ SUE for money. Its if these people think that a company OWES them something . . . And that goes for everyone Celebs and all. And they are the people that have started all this and then there fans see it and follow suit ...
So blame it on the Famous

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's always packages of nuts that have warnings that the package may contain nuts too. ;)

Or the one I find the funniest. On a bag of peanuts:
"Product contains peanuts. Don't eat if you are allergic".
Well duh a bag of peanuts would have peanuts in it.
I think I have you beat on that example. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hey Tattooed .. what is the difference between a lawyer and a leech?

The leech lets go when you are dead!

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.