• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

10 Top Innovative Companies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
10 Top Innovative Companies - TheStreet

Now tell me what the article author was smoking when he wrote that? MS is number 1 on the list. ***? That's a joke. MS is a good company. But innovative is not one thing I'd call them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
How in the world did M$FT get on #1?? That's the worst joke ever! They haven't done anything innovative, just copied everyone else. And citing the W7P and Kinect as partial reasons??? LOLOL I like how they had "sold" in quotes...

Windows 7 Phones may be for naught if nobody buys the handsets, but it may have been enough to engage Sony, whose rumored PlayStation phone has appeared in photos on gamer blogs as a tease to a potential Consumer Electronics Show debut in January. Way to change the game, Microsoft.

HAHAHA. I'm pretty sure the W7P isn't what is motivating other companies to introduce new phones, it's probably doing the opposite.

I believe the number one spot should go to a company who changed the way people interact with their media, do transactions, change the industry, and actually create something from scratch that people WANT to buy. I can only think of one company who can fit those mighty shoes.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
HAHAHA. I'm pretty sure the W7P isn't what is motivating other companies to introduce new phones, it's probably doing the opposite.

Sure it is. WP7 is motivating companies to make android phones or become developers for iOS :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Apparently there isn't much innovation going on outside the USA.

Apart from HTC (Taiwan) and a couple of Chinese companies (what was he smoking, a Chinese fridge manufacturer - come-on)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Pandering to the majority. The iPad and the iPhone 4 were some of the more noteworthy devices of the year than WP7 and Kinect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
Yeah I read this article, and had me scratching my head on why Microsoft was chosen number one because mostly of Kinect, and Windows Phone to me needs a lot of work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
10 Top Innovative Companies - TheStreet

Now tell me what the article author was smoking when he wrote that? MS is number 1 on the list. ***? That's a joke. MS is a good company. But innovative is not one thing I'd call them.

Kinect, and plus no offense to Apple, but they arent doing much except pumping life into discarded ideas something that while not innovative, is very awesome, and Apple hasnt changed much. still a very walled garden approach to stuff.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kinect, and plus no offense to Apple, but they arent doing much except pumping life into discarded ideas something that while not innovative, is very awesome, and Apple hasnt changed much. still a very walled garden approach to stuff.

Kinect is no very innovative. It's just the Wii without a remote. And this kind of technology has been used before. It's old hat. Not very innovative if you ask me.

And Sure Apple has not changed much. But if what you do allows to you have $50+ billion in the bank with no debts I'm sure you would not change it either. Cause it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
The iPhone 4 and iPad really weren't "innovative".
Were they popular? Yes, very much so.
Were they innovative? Not really.
Although Kinect may not have been a success, it was pretty innovative.

I think this type of technology would be better suited elsewhere - not in a video game.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kinect is no very innovative. It's just the Wii without a remote. And this kind of technology has been used before. It's old hat. Not very innovative if you ask me.

And Sure Apple has not changed much. But if what you do allows to you have $50+ billion in the bank with no debts I'm sure you would not change it either. Cause it works.

which isnt a very innovative thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed, why on earth is MS number one? That was more a list of big companies that are doing well, rather than innovative businesses.

Big companies affect large amounts of people. I'm innovative, but I dont get any awards for it =(

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No, it's not just the Wii without a remote. Saying that is like saying that Macs are just like PCs without Windows (which in many respects, they are). The very fact that some have said that the Kinect essentially makes the 360 a new console is indicative of its success.

Although Kinect may not have been a success, it was pretty innovative.
Having sold one million in ten days and having sold 2.5 million as of the end of the November can be defined as successful (source). ;)

Although I agree that MS doesn't necessarily deserve the title of most innovative for its success in one area (gaming), I don't think Apple deserves to be number two. This past year, they've refined previous innovations. Innovation requires something to be new and original and much of what Apple did this year wasn't necessarily new but was more a case of improving upon that which was new and original. That's not a bad thing (if it isn't broken, don't fix it) but it isn't innovative. For example, I wouldn't call the iPhone 4 innovative - it was an improvement on an innovative product. Apple didn't do anything innovative with the Mac line this year either (I wouldn't call the new MBAs innovative) as they just improved it. You could call the iPad innovative and although that could be justified, I'm not sure it is (I'll leave this open to debate).

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it's not just the Wii without a remote. Saying that is like saying that Macs are just like PCs without Windows (which in many respects, they are). The very fact that some have said that the Kinect essentially makes the 360 a new console is indicative of its success.

It's the same reason why the Wii is a totally new console when compared to the Gamecube. Pretty much the same hardware in a GC and a Wii. But the remote controller made it feel so very different. And this is no different to a standard Xbox controller and the Kinect. They just took away the standard controller and replaced it. Nintendo replaced it with a remote. And MS replaced it with your hand.

You say the iphone 4 is just a better iphone and you are right. And not really innovative. And I agree. Very good product but not so innovative. And Kinect is the same. It's just the Wii control system but your own hand replaces the remote. Just an upgrade to an idea that is already in existence. An old idea that Nintendo made a lot of money from. I'm not saying MS directly copied and improved the idea. But MS were not the first to replace the standard console controller.

Nintendo were the first major player to do it. Standard controller replaced with a remote (and you could argue that idea was inspired from TV remotes). And MS just took the idea one step further and went from controller to your own hand.

Having sold one million in ten days and having sold 2.5 million as of the end of the November can be defined as successful (source). ;)
More proof that casual gaming is big dollars. Most hardcore gamers would laugh at the kinect and say "give me the standard controller and a long HD quality game any day of the week". But as you rightly said kinect sold. Just like the Wii did. People are loving the new (the the Xbox) way to interact with games. And they don't care that the games are not epic monsters like final fantasy or the like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.