• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Want a Ubuntu tablet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I want one, as long as it's not expensive.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I can not believe these companies are still launching tablets with desktop OSes on them. "Optimized for touch" is not the same thing as "designed from the ground-up to be touch-driven and only runs apps that work that way".

There is a reason the iPad is so successful, but apparently that reason is elusive to some. But good luck to them, I love Ubuntu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The problem is the apps. This Ubuntu version (the netbook derivative) is not too bad for touch screens, but the apps aren't there yet. There are lots of Ubuntu apps, but virtually all of them assume you'll be using a full keyboard and mouse or trackpad, not a touch screen.

For the present, at least, Android is the best Linux distro family for tablets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
The problem is the apps. This Ubuntu version (the netbook derivative) is not too bad for touch screens, but the apps aren't there yet. There are lots of Ubuntu apps, but virtually all of them assume you'll be using a full keyboard and mouse or trackpad, not a touch screen.

For the present, at least, Android is the best Linux distro family for tablets.

the good news is though that the linux community is a very active one, so apps will be rolling out very quickly.
jeez... 1.6ghz and 2gb of ram, wow. I remember computers having those specs and being considered good...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I can not believe these companies are still launching tablets with desktop OSes on them. "Optimized for touch" is not the same thing as "designed from the ground-up to be touch-driven and only runs apps that work that way".

There is a reason the iPad is so successful, but apparently that reason is elusive to some. But good luck to them, I love Ubuntu.

It's kind of funny that you say that cause my Uncle who is a programmer and avid lover of Ubuntu said the same thing. More or less the same thing Ubuntu is a desktop OS and here they are cramming it into notebooks and portable devices that use priority hardware which Ubuntu doesn't have support for. >_>"

Anyways while it does seem interesting I can't get over the fact that it looks like another iPad knock off. With a Windows home button. >_>"

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's kind of funny that you say that cause my Uncle who is a programmer and avid lover of Ubuntu said the same thing. More or less the same thing but Ubuntu is a desktop OS and here they are cramming it into notebooks and portable devices.

Anyways while it does seem interesting I can't get over the fact that it looks like another iPad knock off. With a Windows home button. >_>"

Honestly, don't these engineers take even a moment to think about what makes the iPad successful? Hint - it has little to do with the physical appearance and Apple logo on the back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.