• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

10 Tech Fails of 2010

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
A fail - it didn't seem to do much harm to Iphone sales, I think the KIN should be No.1

Reaction score
The first two failures? Really? Even 3d TV is in its infancy and Apple topped with sales. The rest of the list I can agree with but the top two are kind of dumb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Iphone's in first place? I'm sure Steve isn't complaining of its HUGE sales, which only keep on increasing. The KIN is the most embarrassing thing on that list, that deserves a worse spot than just first place. How did 3-d tv's fail? But again, it is CCN crap...can't expect much else but failed bias.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I actually agree with 3D tv being on the list. People just aren't buying them, and they aren't buying the content.

I think antennagate belongs on the list, but number 1? Nah. I think perhaps it's there, merely because of the scope of it. The biggest gadget of our time, probably, and it suffers from an issue that never should have happened. Still not so sure about number one, though.

I think 3D tv has some promise, but it's executed poorly. The technology exists to make these panels useful without glasses, but they don't use it (yet). The new nintendo 3DS will have this technology, and I believe Samsung is rolling it out next year, as well.

I blame hollywood on that one, really. 3D, just like in the 50s, and then again in the 80s, is just becoming to gimmicky, and is becoming the "go-to-effect," for the movies. I'd rather see a movie with a good script, lighting, acting, and traditional scaling and camera work, than a movie that overly relies on gimmicky special effects and CGI. That's my opinion, anyway...

Everything else is pretty spot on. Shame the Nexus One flopped. That was a **** good phone, but the initial roll-out killed it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'm sure any company would like a "failed product" as this article says the iphone 4 is to sell so many million units. So in a way this is like saying Apple can make a failed product to sell so many. And what about a good product. That'd break even more sales records.

We all know the iphone was not a failure but I'm just poking fun at the article.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I agree the iPhone 4 is hardly a fail, jeez.
The rest, well yeah, 3D TV sucks, and always will. I hate it.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Apple should have made Ping for movies instead of music. Since Netflix got rid of the social feature of their site, I think Apple would have gained a little more interest among users. Plus, it would have easily meshed with their movie download section.

OP
ezcompane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
I actually agree with 3D tv being on the list. People just aren't buying them, and they aren't buying the content.

Your opinion is pretty spot on with how I feel about the trend in 3D. Too much gimmick not nearly enough content. I predicted it's low sales on day one. I knew people would be skeptical about it, and that many people would also have a hard time justifying the Tv let alone the people like myself that would be required to upgrade their receiver for it. One thing I was completely wrong about was the price difference. I figured the 3D Tvs would be excessive, but from what I've seen online the prices aren't that much more. IMO there just isn't enough 3D movies out there, and then you have to play the stupid "exclusive" game with which movies you can buy. I found that people are paying close to $300 for the 3D Avatar Blu Ray on Ebay because it's only available with a Panasonic bundle.

Apple should have made Ping for movies instead of music. Since Netflix got rid of the social feature of their site, I think Apple would have gained a little more interest among users. Plus, it would have easily meshed with their movie download section.

That would've been a great idea for Apple to implement. I just haven't seen enough reason to jump onto Ping. With Facebook, Twitter, Myspace (is it still around?) I just don't see a reason for me to add another social medium to the list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Whats Ping ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
A fail - it didn't seem to do much harm to Iphone sales, I think the KIN should be No.1

heh, the KIN was almost like a silent joke, it was there, it flopped and failed miserably and then was gone.
Iphone4 though, that hit a lot of people in a very embarrassing way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
heh, the KIN was almost like a silent joke, it was there, it flopped and failed miserably and then was gone.
Iphone4 though, that hit a lot of people in a very embarrassing way.

Funny that. The iphone 4 "hit a lot of people in a very embarrassing way" as you say. But it didn't stop the masses from either buying one or wanting one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Funny that. The iphone 4 "hit a lot of people in a very embarrassing way" as you say. But it didn't stop the masses from either buying one or wanting one.

true, but honestly.. how could they have let such an obvious problem slip right by? I mean, if you were to even hold the phone at all you would surely notice the problem...
oh, and to me its a bigger problem because so many people were affected by it, whereas the kin was just a kind of "quiet" failure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
true, but honestly.. how could they have let such an obvious problem slip right by? I mean, if you were to even hold the phone at all you would surely notice the problem...
oh, and to me its a bigger problem because so many people were affected by it, whereas the kin was just a kind of "quiet" failure.

Because there was and is no problem. It's just a few people wanting to throw a drama fit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because there was and is no problem. It's just a few people wanting to throw a drama fit.

.... yes there was.
there was the antenna problem and the problem with the device reporting to have more signal than it actually had.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
.... yes there was.
there was the antenna problem and the problem with the device reporting to have more signal than it actually had.

Much like every other smartphone in existence.

Seriously - my Droid Incredible's signal strength indicator is inane. And depending on how I grip it, I can get it to drop 3-4 bars instantly. The antennagate saga is nothing more than media fanaticism.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
.... yes there was.

Which even that miscalibration only affected a small minority of people. It was mainly iPhone hatred just trying to make a big deal out of something that wasn't an issue.

And it wasn't reporting more signal, it just needed to be clearer for people that were confused. They changed the algorithm since there isn't a standard way that any carrier or phone manufacturer presents the bars.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.