.doc and .pdf files on Mac

Reaction score
Well, I have a dumb question, so I think I should ask it here.

I'm considering to buy a MacBook next year, but I'm concerned with compatibility issues. Nowadays, I work with Word all the time and, usually, I need to create .pdf files too. Both these kind of files are to be opened on the computers of the university where I teach. Unfortunately, they run only Windows. So before making my mind about switching to Mac I need to know if my university computers will be able to open a text file created on my Mac and if I'll be able to create a .pdf file on my Mac, since, sometimes, my university requires this extension.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Text edit and pages on the mac and open doc files, but it sounds like you would need Word for Mac

The Mac Version of office is fully compatible with the windows version. You should be able to get an Academic discount.

As for PDF, its built into the OS, with all print dialogues allowing you to create a PDF. The Preview app in OSX allows you to view and do some basic PDF editing as well

OP
N
Reaction score
I'd buy a Mac in the US, but I'm from Brazil (where I work). So I wonder if I'll be able to get an Academic discount. I hope so!

Thank you very much for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You should be able to get an Academic copy of Office in any country, as long as you have proof you are an academic or student, the MS site for Brasil should have details

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you don't feel like shelling out for Word right away, you can download OpenOffice for free, which handles .doc files.

C

chas_m

Word was actually originally a Mac program, as was Excel. Most Windows people are amazed when I tell them this, but it's true. Both were available YEARS before Windows came along.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Word was actually originally a Mac program, as was Excel. Most Windows people are amazed when I tell them this, but it's true. Both were available YEARS before Windows came along.
True, but both were DOS programs before they were Mac programs.

PowerPoint started out on the Mac.

C

chas_m

Let me rephrase: Word and Excel *as we know them today* (ie GUI-based) started out as Mac programs (as did Powerpoint, as you say). :)

OP
N
Reaction score
thank you all! I'll try to learn more about OpenOffice. I thought Word was a microsoft creation. Maybe there is no such thing as a "microsoft creation" after all LOL

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Word was created by Microsoft. What chas_m is stating is that Word, Excel, and Powerpoint were published for the Mac platform prior to Windows. And while Open Office is free and perhaps an alternative, it's not very Mac like in appearance. Also IMO, the entire suite is bloated. But it's up to you to choose.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There is NeoOffice which is OpenOffice "Macified" so to speak. You could also look into Lotus Symphony which is also free and may meet your needs.

Reaction score
Here is my tip. Download OpenOffice or Neo Office first and give it a go. It's free and works fine for general use. I tried the NeoOffice as it was specifically created for the Mac, rather than a direct port which I believe OpenOffice was.

If you feel you need MS Office, it is worth still getting. It is actually quite cheap for the home version if you can't get an Academic license, but you should be able to get one in Brazil, despite the Mac being bought in the US. I can't see how that could be an issue.

As for PDF, I really love how the mac has this built right in from unboxing. Yes, it really works great and I find it much better than installing Adobe and other converters like in Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Not to mention Pages is able to read and write Word files and is good enough for most users.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.