In Single User mode, looking for a way around the flashing question mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 4.1, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz
What I'm working with: Macbook (250GB) from August 2008, right before the newer models were released. 200GB running OSX and 50GB partition running WindowsXP, which I ultimately want to remove. (That's not the issue here, though.)

So now: I get the flashing question mark of doom when I try to boot. I put in the install disk and load the Disk Utility. It shows my HD, with the two partitions, however only the WindowsXP side is mounted. "Verify" etc fails, ultimately, and can't repair or re-mount the OSX side (its name is disk0s2, for future reference).

So I boot in Single User mode, and input the 'fcsk -fy' and fcsk commands lots of times. Basically, what I can see is that my OSX side has renamed itself; if through some fault of my own, I don't know, but could be. In which case... reprimand me and then help me. :)
The REAL name of my OSX side should be, from the looks of the Single User data, disk1s3. The lines echoed that seem pertinent at this point are:
** /dev/rdisk1s3 (NO WRITE)
** Root file system
** Verifying volume when it is mounted with write access.
** Checking Non-journaled HFS Plus volume.....etc etc
... a few more lines of checking...

** The volume Mac OS X Install Disc 1 appears to be OK.
disk1s3: device is write locked.
0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [ErrType IO] [ErrNo13] [IOType Write] [PBlkNum 2631268] [LBlkNum 0] [FSLogMsgID 916720906] [FSLogMsgOrder First]
0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [DevNode /dev/disk1s3] [MountPt /] [Path /private/var/log/fsck_hfs.log] [FSLogMsgID 916720906] [FSLogMsgOrder Last]

My question is: Is there a way around the way the Apple Support guy suggested (pulling my data out via firewire to another mac and reinstalling OSX), and just renaming my OSX side correctly, or something similar, via Single User or bash so it can be mounted again?

Thanks for your help. I'm a half-geek who grew up on DOS but now only speaks Basic, and I've never really messed with the command prompts on my Mac - 'cause I haven't needed to.

C

chas_m

I can't really help you, but I have to wonder why the method Apple Support suggested -- which would take at most a few hours -- isn't acceptable? Seems very straightforward and simple to me.

OP
cobalt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll probably ultimately do what the tech suggested. However, I'd really like to begin to understand the capabilities of Single User and bash. If I can do it myself, without buying the 400 to 800 firewire cable or spending time in the apple store, I'd really like to.

Nothing better than being self-sufficient, aye? I figured you guys here on the forums would be a good place to start.

Reaction score
Your disk hasn't renamed itself. What happened is, when you booted from the install disk into single user mode, the disk you're checking via fsck is the install disk:
Code:
... a few more lines of checking...
** The volume Mac OS X Install Disc 1 appears to be OK.
disk1s3: device is write locked.

You probably will have to reinstall to get your boot volume back.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
cradom is correct. For some unknown reason you're running a file system check on your install DVD which of course is read only and will verify OK.

Are you sure you're highlighting the correct partition of your MacIntosh HD when doing a verify and repair (using Disk Utility from the boot DVD)? If you can see the Windows partition as mounted that means the drive is mounted. If you can't boot to OS X, it's possible that the boot sector was overwritten by something that Windows or you did.

Ultimately, if all this is confusing and you're left with nowhere to go, then I agree with both of the previous replies that you're facing a reinstall. And as chas_m indicated, you probably need to follow through with what Apple said to do.

OP
cobalt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Status Update (Not like Twitter)

Thanks for the feedback, all.

@chscag,
Are you sure you're highlighting the correct partition of your MacIntosh HD when doing a verify and repair (using Disk Utility from the boot DVD)?
Yes, I'm sure.
Also, @cradom, I do know that the fcsk is checking the install disk. It's frustrating, but I figured I may as well show all of the stuff that was echoed.

At this point, all I need and want to do is salvage the data from my 200GB OSX partition... but that process is giving me just as many problems.

Here's what has happened since I posed this question:
1. I bought the 400-800 firewire converter cable. Ran through the steps that the Apple Tech told me to do (Hook up the cable b/tw two computers, restart the messed-up one while holding down T, and then attempt to retrieve data from the disks on the messed-up comp.). The only disks that my other computer can recognize and access are the Windows partition and the install disk, which basically makes zero progress. When I run Disk Utility on the other Macbook, I can see the exact same thing that running Disk Utility from my Install Disk on the messed-up computer: one partition is mounted (the blank 50GB), one is not (the 200GB with all my files on it).

2. I went ahead and re-installed OSX from my install disk onto the 50GB partition; it was already backed up and erased in preparation for getting rid of Windows XP.

3. I took a closer look at the 200GB partition; its format is not the "OSX Journaled" that it should be... WHY it is "FAT 32", the DOS formatting, I don't know. Even though I know just enough about computers to get into trouble and not enough to get out, it looks pretty positive that I'm completely f#@&ed at this point.

In lieu of wailing, what do I do now? (And can I get my files back?)

Thanks... I really hope someone can save me here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You do not want the XP partition, so just erase the whole disk using Disk Utility when booted from the install disc, ** into Partition in Disk Utility (under Utilities in the Menu bar), partition as one single partition and format Mac OSD Extended (Journalled) and do a clean install. Perhaps cloning the OS X partition to an external drive may be your best shot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.