How do I upload avi files (movie) to Itunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro OS X 10.5.8
Im new to MAC and just wondering how do I upload avi files movies to Itunes then to my Iphone 4. Thank you and you have a happy holiday

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You can't. AVI is not a format that either iTunes or your iPhone will take, at least not natively. You need to convert them to MP4 or M4V to make them compatible with both natively.

You can download the VLC App for the iPhone and upload almost any video that way, but they will only play from within the VLC app and not in iTunes on the phone.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro OS X 10.5.8
You can't. AVI is not a format that either iTunes or your iPhone will take, at least not natively. You need to convert them to MP4 or M4V to make them compatible with both natively.

You can download the VLC App for the iPhone and upload almost any video that way, but they will only play from within the VLC app and not in iTunes on the phone.

thank you but how do i upload files from my computer?

C

chas_m

"Upload" is not really the correct term, just FYI. You mean "transfer."

The best method is to convert the AVI (or whatever) files to MP4 format using a converter like Evom (free). It will do the job, put the resulting file in iTunes if you want, and then you just set your sync options in iTunes and done. I convert files while I'm sleeping so this is an "instant, invisible" process for me.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro OS X 10.5.8
"Upload" is not really the correct term, just FYI. You mean "transfer."

The best method is to convert the AVI (or whatever) files to MP4 format using a converter like Evom (free). It will do the job, put the resulting file in iTunes if you want, and then you just set your sync options in iTunes and done. I convert files while I'm sleeping so this is an "instant, invisible" process for me.

yessir. also i like to watch international movies but it won't show subtitle for smi files. How's that supposed to work?

C

chas_m

yessir. also i like to watch international movies but it won't show subtitle for smi files. How's that supposed to work?

You'll need to create a "hard-coded" MP4 file that "burns in" the subtitles (ie remuxes the movie with the subtitles and flattens the resulting file). VisualHub (if you can find it) does this, ffmpegX does this, I haven't tried the new iFFmpeg but perhaps it can do it as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

You'll need to create a "hard-coded" MP4 file that "burns in" the subtitles (ie remuxes the movie with the subtitles and flattens the resulting file). VisualHub (if you can find it) does this, ffmpegX does this, I haven't tried the new iFFmpeg but perhaps it can do it as well.

Handbrake beats them all hands down. No pun intended. Google it.

FYI for ~kp-rsx~, this is a borderline legal topic here. Talking about converting movies, even if you own them or downloaded them for free (unless you own the actual rights to something that you personally created), is a touchy subject and may violate the rules.

Reaction score
Im new to MAC and just wondering how do I upload avi files movies to Itunes then to my Iphone 4. Thank you and you have a happy holiday

According to Apple official website, iTunes only works with QuickTime and MPEG-4 Movie files that end in ".mov", ".m4v", or ".mp4" and are playable in QuickTime Player. Therefore, if you try to import .avi movie to iTunes for syncing, it will end in fail in importing AVI video to iTunes let alone transfer this AVI file to iPad, iPhone, iPod.

In order to successfully import AVI files to iTunes, we have to convert this AVI video to iTunes compatible video format like MP4.

Just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Convert and Import AVI to iTunes so as to Transfer AVI Files to iPad/iPhone/iPod successfully

You will find a simple solution

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.