• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Sand in Paper Towels/Tissues?

Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, I believe I read somewhere at one point that some paper towels and/or tissues may have sand i.e. crystal particles in them...is this true?

Because, I'd seriously hate to use these to clean ANY of my electronic equipment despite, for example, my 360 controller's manual saying to wipe it with a "damp paper towel" if the need arises.

The reason I really started to think they do is when I look at some tissues I have, for example, I do notice sparkles in them and wonder maybe these are microscopic sand crystals and thus can cause micro-scratches on your LCD displays, CD's, etc.

I believe paper towels are made of trees, and I don't know at what point any sand particles are added to them, but please let me know. I've google searched but to no avail.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There are abrasive materials in just about every kind of towel - after all, it is the rubbing/friction action that actually cleans the cruft from whatever it is you happen to have gotten dirty.

I use paper towels to clean just about anything, along with Spic 'n Span Cinch. Works great, has yet to mar any surface I've ever used the combination on. All of these expensive cleaners and microfiber towels are snake oil IMHO (except when it comes to detailing a car). Most electronics are designed to be handled and in turn, cleaned with off the shelf cleaners.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I just use microfiber cloths when I'm cleaning just about anything. Not only do they do a great job, but I'm not wasting paper towels every time I clean something.

After I clean with them, I just pop them in the wash and use them again.

OP
M
Reaction score
Same here. I use zeh microfiberz!

But, the sand being in brand paper towels (like Brawny) isn't really true, is it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But, the sand being in brand paper towels (like Brawny) isn't really true, is it?

What you may not be thinking about is...even if there is "sand" in paper towels...you have to consider the particle size. It's not like the "sand" is going to be the particle size of sand that you find at the beach...it's going to be a very very fine particle size like the talcum in baby powder....or as fine as the particle size of an individual particle in bread flour.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I've been thinking of that since post 1. If they have even this then this is enough to notice on an LCD for example.

You would just need sufficient light and the right angle to look at the scratches and marks.

Now of course I don't use these on LCD's either way, since they will mess them up, so I use microfiber.

However, I made this thread since on my desk, there are these metal gliders/sliding things that work to make the keyboard tray of the desk be pulled back and pushed in, and man these gutters were so black and dirty I wondered what the freak they were.

My guess was they are just really old black lubrication or something.

And I couldn't use any valuable cloth to clean it, since the cloth would be unwashable, so I used something disposable and the only thing I have disposable to wipe with is paper towels.

So, assuming these towels may have microscopic sand in them, could they scratch up the metal to some extent? I read some metals can even get scratched by plastic and sand > plastic in hardness.

But yeah, I agree I'm all OCD about it lol.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But yeah, I agree I'm all OCD about it lol.

Don't worry dude...we already know you're "OCD"...everyone's read your "bedroom lock" thread!!!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
holla ;)

I like my not-so-normal, staying-in-comfort-zone self.

After all, our goal in life is not to be comfortable ;P/sarcasm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.