• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Lock a Room & Make It Off-Limits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello Mac Forum users. I'm going to college soon, and I was pondering how I may be able to make my room/bedroom off-limits as with a lot of people, they want to keep their personal space uninvaded especially when it only has their belongings in it anyway. I am one of these people and would want to know how to make this area inaccessible to anyone. Currently, I just press the lock from the inside of the room then close the door from the outside, that way you could only enter the room if you place a pin-like object (like a cotton-less swab) into a small hole in the middle of the knob from outside the room and push it in to unlock the door, and no one really thinks/dares of doing this but me, though since everyone knows this is how the door is unlocked, I can't rest assured no one would enter while I'm gone (because someone has done this before in the past). I don't live with any small children so my request is respected for the most part and everyone knows I would absolutely hate it if anyone entered my room for whatever reason. I've even had a sign on it for several years but recently covered it only because it was bothering two people in the family, but the rule to not enter it still remains.

So I was wondering, how could I seriously lock the room without anyone having a chance of entering? I could install a door lock but, this is not feasible, at all. I would have to make a big circular hole in my door where the lock would go and an indent next to the side of the door for it to lock in the first place, and this is a carpenter's job, and considering he has to work from the inside of the room to do this (since the door only opens towards my room, not outward) the point of getting this installed is kind of moot.

So I was wondering if anyone has a better alternative, something I myself can do. My best current idea involved this, a typical school locker lock:

School%20Locker%20Locks.jpg

I was thinking, perhaps, what if you can get something that I can wrap around my door knob (like something hard and plastic that someone can't rip through) and have it closed together with this lock? That thing is what I'm currently looking for, and if someone has a better alternative of course please tell me so that I can go to college without worrying about what's going on in my room. :(

Thanks a bunch...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
I'm not sure if this is a serious question.... My first instinct says spam.
But...

Impossible. It's college. Everything is dictated by the RHA. You can't do anything to the door handle / locks / anything.... Plus you'll be sharing this room with something called a room mate, more than likely.

OP
M
Reaction score
Spam? No. What makes you think so? Maybe you should think that if it was in a forum specific to something not relevant, but there's a reason this is in "Anything Goes" since it doesn't really relate to any other forum.

I'm talking about the room in the house I'm living in now, the family home I may likely have to leave and live in a dorm instead. I don't care about the dorm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And dude, I'm talking about the room in the house I'm living in now, the family home I may likely have to leave and live in a dorm instead. I don't care about the dorm.

Well then that should be stated in the OP.
It's a very confusing post. Why mention college if you don't care? Just ask about how to do it at home.

As far as at home, yes you can change the lock without having a carpenter (it would actually be a locksmith) do it. You would just take the current door handle off and get a different handle.

Look at: Amazon.com: KidCo Lever Lock for Decorative Lever Door Handles 1ea: Health & Personal Care

Or Keyed Entry Door Knobs You would just have to chip out some wood from the door frame in order for the deadbolt to go in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't think it's Spam. It's a fair question.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just to make this clear to others, This is your room at home and not the Dorm room at College? Am I correct? Trying to clear that up as the other poster thought it was your dorm room.

Opps, already answered! This is not spam at all but a question. I wish I could help but can't think of anything at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think it's Spam. It's a fair question.

Haha I got that now. And I saw your original post, you got confused too :) I think the OP needs to re-word his question.

Only reason I thought it was spam is because the OP worded it really weird, and mentioned college. Therefore I thought he was trying to lock his dorm door.

OP
M
Reaction score
- I've said in the first post it's my bedroom I want to lock before I go on to college. Why would this be about the dorm? If this was the dorm I would have already gone to college living in the campus but I'm obviously still home with my family. I also said they didn't like the sign on my door...so this is about my room, not the dorm since they're obviously not driving and coming up there to stare at the door of my dorm.

- I meant the carpenter's job is to drill holes and whatnot...sure a locksmith deals with locks but I doubt he would drill holes wherever. I've heard this recently that this is his job. But, thanks for showing me that link with lock-based knobs. This is perfect.

- Lol @ the child safes...no. Like I said there're no kids here. I'm the youngest and I'm 21. Those won't do jack since they're going to get figured out in the first few minutes if someone really tried to get past that, BUT, as one of the reviews for that said, this is EXCELLENT in theory and not just for kids either.

It would be BEAUTIFUL if such a thing was COMBINATION-based or KEY-based, not like a darn push-open cap you see on medicine containers. Good god. I really hope they make this where only YOU could figure it out and not someone who could figure it out my accident. :/
I will consider the key-based door knobs...but someone please...tell me that there are knob safes like those KidCo knobs that involve a key or combination of sorts...unscrewing bolts and installing these aren't really my thing...and would love such an easy alternative.

-EDIT- Ok I may get this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WR4OSU/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Aesthetically this isn't my best choice since I'd rather pick this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002056SPO/?tag=macforums0e4-20

But this is not sold by or even on Amazon so return policy can get bothersome with other sellers and companies. I have a great experience buying and returning with Amazon so I'll likely buy the one in the first link.

Would still love it if someone told me there are locks like those child safe ones that have keys or combinations...why didn't the so called "kid safety" experts think of that yet!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If it's a bedroom in your own home, why are you so afraid of someone breaking in? I guess I'm just overly confused by the paranoia.

Maybe you stated why somewhere, but I just can't read a wall of text. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
We used these in our safe room and for my basement office. A bit pricey, but definitely worth the effort. As an extra measure you need to either fabricate a ferrous reinforced concrete door frame or steel/welded frame. We also chose to use 2 layers of 1/4" sheet steel, internal to the dry wall, to a height of 6 feet extending out on either side of the door. It's a bit of overkill to some folks, but was easy enough to do over the course of 2 weekends.

Master Security Doors

MSD_Spec_EX4_ID_%20Inswing_051809_2.jpeg

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Personally, if you want that type of privacy, it's time to move out and get your own place.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
- I've said in the first post it's my bedroom I want to lock before I go on to college. Why would this be about the dorm?

OP...the reason is folks are confused when they read your initial post!. You have left out some important details...and your post is VERY poorly written. You don't use proper punctuation when you should...thus you have "run-on" sentences.

You also give us way too much detail. Just give us the facts. Describe the situation clearly...and why you feel the need to do it.

For example...your very 1st sentence is confusing. You say: "I'm going to college soon, and I was pondering how I may be able to make my room/bedroom off-limits as with a lot of people, they want to keep their personal space uninvaded especially when it only has their belongings in it anyway."

- we have no idea where your bedroom is currently
- you should have a period after the word "limits" to avoid a run-on sentence...and start a new sentence with the word "As".
- also you shouldn't end this particular "passage"...with the word "anyway"...it's a very strange word to end a sentence with.

...it's just tough to read & decipher. I'm not saying you have to have perfect grammar...but you have to at least make it readable & understandable for folks.

Just trying to help,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Personally, if you want that type of privacy, it's time to move out and get your own place.

I have to agree here. Living at home cheap rent/board and other expenses but it also means patents or siblings going through your stuff without asking. It's the price you have to pay to live at home. Maybe it's time you speak to your parents and tell them the issue. Most parents would be ok to work out a deal with you to make your life better there.

But if your family is unreasonable maybe it's time to move out. Or just buy a little safe to put your valuables in so your folks can't get to them. Just tell them what you are putting in the safe. Cause you don't want them thinking you are stashing drugs or any other illegal materials.

And while you are at college consider anything in your room to be unsafe. In short take all of your valuables with you.

There is a third option. Slowly get some trust going with your family. So you don't have to have the room off limits and then you can trust them to come in and leave without screwing up in there. It's always best to keep your family in the loop then shitting them out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
If you don't trust your family then I see the following options:
1) Move house
2) Put my Bouvier De Flandres in there and say " Waak " ( This is Dutch for " Guard " )
( Don't forget to feed her twice a day )

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Mac Forum users. I'm going to college soon, and I was pondering how I may be able to make my room/bedroom off-limits as with a lot of people, they want to keep their personal space uninvaded especially when it only has their belongings in it anyway. I am one of these people and would want to know how to make this area inaccessible to anyone.
Never once in there does it explicitly say in your bedroom at home. When you go to college, your bedroom is your home. So please fix some things with this post to stop confusing everyone. There's a lot of people at college, and your dorm has your belongings in it.
- I've said in the first post it's my bedroom I want to lock before I go on to college. Why would this be about the dorm? If this was the dorm I would have already gone to college living in the campus but I'm obviously still home with my family. I also said they didn't like the sign on my door...so this is about my room, not the dorm since they're obviously not driving and coming up there to stare at the door of my dorm.

Ummmmm you never said in your bedroom at home. You just said bedroom. Very vague.
Oh, and most colleges are on break right now, as it's Christmas time. Therefore you shouldn't be living in the dorms right now. Well if you don't care about the dorm just bring all your stuff with you.... So don't get all mad at me when you didn't make your post clear, and everyone was initially confused (although editing their posts to get rid of the confusion).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This thread has given me a headache.....

To the OP: Refer to Post #12.

OP
M
Reaction score
-Edited to prevent pointless arguments I currently don't have the time for-

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I knew exactly what you were talking about but asked what I did to be sure others understood. Sorry I really don't know what to suggest, but your first post was very clear to me and sounds like something I would have done had I family members I did not trust. I hope you figure something out.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well thanks...and I hope I haven't stuck a nerve in anyone...but I've pretty much found my solution. Anyone reading my second-to-last post with the Amazon links would know I've found a solution (since no one knew if there was a KidCo product with a key/combination) and just the other night I've bought the Master Lock Keyed Door Knob (Polished Brass) for 12 bucks plus shipping so I'll be putting that up whenever I want. I just hope other keys won't be able to unlock this thing, but I doubt anyone here will try that. Yes, I'm in my house, not in lol a college dorm. I wonder what "I'm going to college soon" is supposed to mean? That I'm already in college? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.