Using full screen...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.8GHz, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT
Hi i got mt macbook pro today and i wanted to know how you get like safari to open in full screen as aposed to just part of it? also, will using the macbook plugged in all the time ruin the battery? should i charge it then take out the mains adapter and just use the battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
You can't maximise windows in OSX best thing you can do is use the grab corner in the bottom right to resize the window to how you like.
Keeping your MBP plugged in won't ruin your battery, once your battery is charged it will stop the flow into the battery.

- Simon

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.8GHz, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT
ok ive dragged it out and thats fine thanks, and im glad it wont ruin the battery but thought id make sure about that, thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
That's what we are here for ;P

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
FWIW, Chrome and Firefox have a full screen view option. Just saying...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True, some apps do have FULL screen as in nothing else on the screen, usually the keyboard combination is Shift+CMD+F

- Simon

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool, will check that out :) whats the most common browser people tend to use on the mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Safari, Firefox, Opera, and Google Chrome are the most popular.

I prefer Safari although it has been using quite a bit of memory lately...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
cool, will check that out :) whats the most common browser people tend to use on the mac?

My favorite is Chrome. My wife likes Safari. Neither of us ever use Firefox. I tried Opera for a couple of weeks (in Windows), but couldn't find a compelling reason to keep it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I don't have a laptop, but I recently read somewhere that running one off power all the time is not a good idea. Sorry, I can't recall more than that, or supply the source.

C

chas_m

I don't use Chrome due to privacy concerns (Google has gone rogue, in a nutshell). Safari is far and away the most popular browser on the Mac because a) it's the default option and b) it's really very good, particularly as of v5.

Not to diss the other browsers -- Firefox is nice, Camino is nice, SRWare Iron is a nice alternative to Chrome but without the privacy issues, and there's Flock and Opera and iCab and many others. No shortage of decent browsers out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
I don't have a laptop, but I recently read somewhere that running one off power all the time is not a good idea. Sorry, I can't recall more than that, or supply the source.

On Windows machines, the charger is always supplying power to the battery, which shortens the life of it. Once a MBP is charged, the charger stops supplying power to the battery so it won't harm the battery.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't use Chrome due to privacy concerns (Google has gone rogue, in a nutshell).
I'm always interested when individuals make these claims as many of the privacy issues with Chrome are old (a Google search will show that most articles concerning the privacy issues with Chrome are at least two years old) and many of the features that require you to send info to Google can be disabled. That which can't be disabled, such as the installation token, is randomly generated and deleted after the first update check by Chrome. What privacy issues bother you the most? Beyond that, whose to say that some closed source browsers such as Safari don't send info?

Source for Chrome info.

C

chas_m

1. Chrome was designed from the ground up as a data-mining tool of its users habits. Chrome continues to track where users surf and reports that information back to Google in service of its advertising business (ie its only source of revenue).

2. A privacy paper FROM GOOGLE about how "transparent" Chrome is rates about as highly as a memo from the Bush administration explaining how they don't torture.

Here's a competing link that should tell you everything you need to know about Google's regard for your privacy, even though it does not apply specifically to Chrome.

Here's another one about Google Buzz. I'm supposed to believe that Chrome has somehow changed Google from this pattern of behaviour?? Puh-lease.

Google's voluntary assistance to help the Chinese government find and imprison dissidents, along with their participation in the much-scorned (but eventually adopted in large measure) "fake net neutrality" FCC proposals are more than enough evidence for any thinking person to realise that Google is not paying any attention whatsoever to their former corporate motto, "Don't Be Evil."

One can't boycott Google -- they're already so invasive in everything that happens on the internet that it's virtually impossible to avoid them -- but I'm not about to give them free access to my browsing history for them to resell to marketers. Thanks anyway.

Apple, on the other hand, has proven time and time again that they do not abuse or compromise any data they may collect about me to third parties without my permission.

Reaction score
On Windows machines, the charger is always supplying power to the battery, which shortens the life of it. Once a MBP is charged, the charger stops supplying power to the battery so it won't harm the battery.

I never knew this. I have a late 2008 Macbook, does it still apply to my Macbook?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
1. Chrome was designed from the ground up as a data-mining tool of its users habits. Chrome continues to track where users surf and reports that information back to Google in service of its advertising business (ie its only source of revenue).
Any proof of that claim? At this point, saying that it is a data mining tool is pure speculation.

2. A privacy paper FROM GOOGLE about how "transparent" Chrome is rates about as highly as a memo from the Bush administration explaining how they don't torture.

Here's a competing link that should tell you everything you need to know about Google's regard for your privacy, even though it does not apply specifically to Chrome.
Yes, I quoted a Google white paper but being a closed source product, there is little "outsiders" can possibly know. It's better than a response by a group that doesn't even address the browser. I don't care about Google Reader - this is a discussion of privacy concerns with Chrome.

Here's another one about Google Buzz. I'm supposed to believe that Chrome has somehow changed Google from this pattern of behaviour?? Puh-lease.
Again, I don't care about other products - I'm talking about Chrome. Do you have any credible evidence to demonstrate problems with Chrome? If not, "innocent until proven guilty."

Google's voluntary assistance to help the Chinese government find and imprison dissidents, along with their participation in the much-scorned (but eventually adopted in large measure) "fake net neutrality" FCC proposals are more than enough evidence for any thinking person to realise that Google is not paying any attention whatsoever to their former corporate motto, "Don't Be Evil."
Google is far from the only company in China and involved in the net neutrality debate. Do you have any evidence for your claims here as well?

Apple, on the other hand, has proven time and time again that they do not abuse or compromise any data they may collect about me to third parties without my permission.
That we know of. I say they don't - that's speculation but that seems to be okay. (I don't actually believe my point - just making a point).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
This is tin foil hat type stuff and if you were truly worried about Google tracking you - you would be using firefox with noscript and cookie blocker. You would also never log into gmail unless you did no other browsing. Otherwise it doesn't matter what browser you use, there is google analytics, google cookies, googleapis and a bunch of other google stuff running on pretty much every site. Surf with noscript on for a bit and you'll see how pervasive google is.

This site has google analytics running on it - do you stop coming here because you fear google following you? Do you have noscript turned on so that the google analytics isn't run for you?

Reaction score
Not really... Google's primary mission is marketing. I can see why some folks are leery about them. To be honest I sometimes wonder about them myself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.