• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Part of the appeal of a mac is its Individuality

Reaction score
Part of the appeal of a mac is its Individuality.
Im looking to get a Mac in one years time from all my money saved from not smoking.

I keep hearing about this MacIntel thing, I really do hope that they do not crack OSX so that it runs on a standard Windows Box with Intel processor because it will be a complete traversty. It will ruin what is good about Apple. I also hope that Apple continue to make good looking boxes, nice keyboards and do not lose pride in their design because once these go the appeal of Mac also goes.

I really honestly hope that they make it as difficult as possible to crack but the way things are I just cannot see this happening and I bet in 2 years time you will quite easily be able to download OSX and install it on your regular PC. The only true way to stop this happening would be to have a purpose built Intel motherboard designed only to fit and work in a Mac Shell.

T

tonyb

Well you can proably still see STeve Jobs podcast on the subject. As I understand from watching the podcast. These new intel processer will be special made for the mac and all of the old software will require another piece of software to run the old stuff. Accord to JObs the old X software will work kind like how 9 software works in a classic environment. The only thing is that the bridge software that will enable you to run the x sotfware on the new intel powered machines will cost you.
go figure.

M

macian

tonyb said:
Well you can proably still see STeve Jobs podcast on the subject. As I understand from watching the podcast. These new intel processer will be special made for the mac and all of the old software will require another piece of software to run the old stuff. Accord to JObs the old X software will work kind like how 9 software works in a classic environment. The only thing is that the bridge software that will enable you to run the x sotfware on the new intel powered machines will cost you.
go figure.

I just can't see that. I thought there was going to be some bit of hardware that was needed to link between the OS and the motherboard, without that, the OS won't work. As for charging you for software to run OS X software on the MacIntels, that would be plain daft and not something I can see apple doing. For a start, when the MacIntels launch they won't have all the software they need and will rely on third party OS X software to run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
I believe from the QT keynote at the WWDC05 conference that it will be a lot better than how classic apps work with osx currenty. Jobs actually states that OSX was built processor independent and apple have devised a program for developers so they can make their apps work equally seamlessly on the current chip or the new chip. If you have time to spare, you can watch the keynote on the quicktime section on apple.com and it will show you there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
from the research I've done, mac os x will remain hardware specific, macs using intel chips wont use pentiums, apple and intel are developing special chips that will only work in macs, which will allow them to keep the OS hardware specific, it is possible to install os x on a windows box after, but it will be extremely difficult from what I read, and not worth the effort for an unstable version of os x to run on a windows box.

E

Ex_PC_Puke

I moved to Apple for 2 reasons -

- As an ex-PC developer I know that you can get 95% of the computing experience in a system the size of a mac-mini - that other 5% being extreme gaming / extreme video work / extreme music work. You don't need a hulking big box

- And I was sick and freaking tired of XP - viruses - etc

OS X is a real OS (Unix) not a bunch of schlocked together code

Apple needs to keep being very innovative on hardware (i.e. the mini etc) and ensure OS X is bullet proof ---- Since having my mini I have never seen USB devices behave so well

:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
I will admit that I really like my Mac; however, I have to take issue with a couple of the statements in this thread.

1. "Part of the appeal of a mac is its Individuality. " I am failing to see the "individuality" of owning a Mac. In fact, I see just the opposite. For example, you can choose one of hundreds of DVD burners when you build a linux or windows box; however, your choices are very limited when choosing a DVD burner for your Mac. Using the same pieces of hardware as every other Mac user does not seem very "individual" to me.

2. " from the research I've done, mac os x will remain hardware specific, macs using intel chips wont use pentiums, apple and intel are developing special chips that will only work in macs, which will allow them to keep the OS hardware specific," Your point about Apple integrating DRM security into OS X is correct; however, your statement about Macs using a non-pentium chip is not correct. Macs will be using Intel's Pentium chips, and OS X will be tied to the chip with some hardware security. Just google for Palladium and OS X.

Z

zap2

timswim78 said:
I will admit that I really like my Mac; however, I have to take issue with a couple of the statements in this thread.

1. "Part of the appeal of a mac is its Individuality. " I am failing to see the "individuality" of owning a Mac. In fact, I see just the opposite. For example, you can choose one of hundreds of DVD burners when you build a linux or windows box; however, your choices are very limited when choosing a DVD burner for your Mac. Using the same pieces of hardware as every other Mac user does not seem very "individual" to me.
I Think he meant that many people have Dell/Hp/Emachines/Gateway/etc but less people have macs that makes the indivuality. I disagree with that i really do not care who have OSX, i have it ans since i can use it with my school PCs and there few macs, i do not care if noone else in the world used just as long as apple stay alive i keep using OSX and so on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.